My birds are back! Last year, I got all up in nature's business and bought a bunch of bird feeders. I have a Nyjer feeder for my goldfinch flock, several standard mixed feeders and, of course, a hummingbird feeder. It's incredibly relaxing to sit in the yard and watch the birds go about their daily routines. If you're interested in bringing the kids in on the action, here are 10 great DIY bird feeders that kids can help make. Give them a little ownership over your home's natural habitat!
1. Suet Log at The Garden Roof Coop. Drill some holes in a log, fill them with suet, done.
2. Paint Can Feeders at Mom Endeavors. Kids will enjoy painting the cans with a solid color or designing their own scene.
3. Toilet Paper Roll Feeder at Play From Scratch. Empty toilet paper rolls + peanut butter + seed = messy kids and happy birds.
4. Milk Carton Bird Feeder at Chic Steals. For the traditionalist, the milk carton into feeder project still works like a charm.
5. Acorn Bird Feeder at Craft Foxes. Kate Pruitt upped the game by fashioning an acorn out of a wooden bowl and molded bird seed.
6. Bug Bird Feeders at Lowe's Creative Ideas. Bump up your paint can feeder game by creating your own giant bugs to use as feeders.
7. Craft Stick Feeders at Create Celebrate Explore. Those ubiquitous craft sticks (or, as we called them as kids, "popsicle sticks") can be stacked and glued into a cute little feeder.
8. Egg Carton Bird Feeder at The Creative Cubby. There's nothing easier than hanging an egg carton and filling it with some seed.
9. PVC Pipe Feeder at Birds and Blooms. Upcycle what you can with this idea that uses a small length of PVC pipe and some ceramic plates.
10. Plastic Egg Feeders at A Subtle Revelry. With Easter coming up, you might have some extra plastic eggs around. Add some pretty fabric and you can make these simple egg-shaped feeders.
(Image credits: Rebecca Nickols; Sara Wellensiek; Play From Scratch; Carly J. Cais; Derek Fagerstrom and Lauren Smith; Lowe's Creative Ideas; Tonya Staab; Jen Evans; Kris Drake; Jocelyn Noel)