At the top of my wish list for this fall is a giant chunky knit wool blanket. I keep seeing them on Scandinavian design blogs, and every time I do I take a minute and imagine how wonderful it would feel to be snuggled up underneath a blanket that feels like a giant wool sweater for your entire body. So I've hunted down a few sources for these enormous lovelies, and also a few DIYs for those of you brave (and talented!) enough to make your own.
In a DIY mood? Try this easy and beautiful jar painting project:
1 & 2. Spanish maker Knitting Noodles has plenty of blankets in a huge, chunky knit, including this full-sized bed blanket, for 470,00€, and this throw, 256,00€.
3. Australian artist Little Dandelion crafts chunky blankets to order, like this one she made for Kara Rosenlund. She's also promised to open up a shop very soon.
4. Super Chunky Blanket, 30x48, $145 from Colorways Gallery on Etsy. They have other sizes, as well as oversized yarn and giant knitting needles, in their shop.
5. Chunky Knit Throw, 60 x 60, $250 from Lily and Peabody on Etsy.
6. Full/queen giant knitted blanket, $600 from Woolshack on Etsy. More sizes here.
7. Chunky Knit Wool Blanket, $344.64 from Natural Wool Knits on Etsy.
8. New Zealand farm wife Amy creates these throws from 100% New Zealand wool. For more information, click here.
1. This kit, available from Loopy Mango for $242, includes everything you need (needles, yarn, pattern) to make a big ol' blanket. The Loopy Mango folks also sell giant yarn, giant needles, and finished blankets in their Etsy shop.
2. This is a pattern, available from Ravelry for $4.99, for something called a 'giganto-blanket'. Pretty exciting stuff. The author explains that the pattern is 'more of a tutorial': it also includes information on where to find appropriately sized yarn, as well as how to knit with 1 1/2" PVC pipe (!).
3. This DIY, from Lynne Knowlton, is for a slightly less chunky blanket. But still pretty chunky.
4. Doesn't this blanket just look like a giant sweater for the bed? You can find the pattern in Paton's Family & Homewares, available at Yarn + Co.
5. This throw is just as big and cozy as all the others... but its secret is that it's crocheted, not knitted. So all you talented crocheters can head over to Erin Black's Designs on Etsy and get this this pattern (for $5.51).
(Image credits: Knitting Noodles; Knitting Noodles; Kara Rosenlund; Colorways Gallery; Lily and Peabody; Woolshack; Natural Wool Knits; Cush and Nooks; Loopy Mango; Ravelry; Lynne Knowlton; Yarn + Co; Erin Black's Designs)