Name: Harper and Caleb Carnes with Piper the Pomeranian
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Size: 2000 square feet
Years lived in: Own — 9 months
Sure, we used the word "sophisticated" in the title because it pairs so cheerfully with the word "Southern," but make no mistake; the Georgia home of cute couple Harper and Caleb might be grown-up and good-looking, but it's also bold, bright, adventurous, fun and full of inspiring ideas and enviable thrift store finds.
There's a lot to love about this house. Our eyes first move to the vintage department store doors that hang just off the living room (one of those enviable thrift store finds we were talking about). Harper says they were quite the indulgence for their home, but they're worth every penny. We love how a wallpapered accent wall contrasts with a nice Mid-Century Modern credenza that has a lovely vignette above it. We're over the moon for a geometric, wooden partial wall that subtly visually divides the space, hinting at an entryway. And those are all just in the living room!
All throughout the space are fun elements. Bold, black and white, horizontal stripes make quite a statement in the bedroom, accompanied by a corrugated metal headboard and a graphic duvet. A beautifully decorated patio shows no room was left undone. They don't overwhelm the senses with too many elements, rather choose carefully where to add a pop of personality, like with the stripes and also a chalkboard wall in the kitchen, a bold blue accent wall around the laundry room and more. Harper and Caleb are excited for a new element in the space soon: a baby! We can't wait to see what the nursery will look like.
My Style: Eclectic -- far Eastern design with Wild West accents.
Inspiration: Both my parents are into art & design. Guess it stuck with me.
Favorite Elements: A tie between the kitchen sink and the bank of windows in the study.
Biggest Challenge: Caring for our Mid-Century floors.
What Friends Say: "You found that in a thrift store?!"
Biggest Embarrassment: Probably the fact that I have no window treatments...
Proudest DIY: My Ikat upholstered antique chair.
Biggest Indulgence: My vintage department store doors.
Biggest Advice: Dont worry too much about sticking to one style. If you like all the pieces, the room will work -- you are the common thread.
Dream Source: To be able to travel along with "American Pickers."
Resources of Note:
- • GE stainless steel
- • Original
- • 2 White chairs in living room, white display cabinet in bedroom - IKEA
• Walnut dresser in bedroom - thrift store
• Yellow furniture in living room - thrift store
• Couch in sunroom - thrift store
• Desk in study - thrift store
• Entryway piece - thrift store
• Coffee table, corner cabinet in dining room - made by Caleb :)
- • Vintage Department Store doors - The Junkman's Son, Dalton, GA
• Moose Antler and ceiling tin panel - Asheville, NC thrift store
• Silver mercury rose, yellow knobbed vase, wooden hand sculpture - Studio Eclectic, Dalton, GA
• Male & female vases - CB2
• Driftwood mirror in bedroom - The Pine Needle, Dalton, GA
• Duvet - CB2
- • Dining room chandelier - thrift store
• Living room light fixture - original
• Lamp on display case in bedroom - IKEA
RUGS & CARPETS:
- • Cowhide
- • DIY from Apartment Therapy!
- • Lise Ansley, Keith P. Rein, Mike Knapp
- • Sherwin Williams Argos - kitchen and bedroom
• Sherwin Williams Gray Matters - living room and dining room
• Sherwin Williams Passive - study
• Sherwin Williams Nebulous White - sun room
- • Original Oak hardwoods
Thanks, Harper and Caleb!
Images: Mike Knapp
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.