Josef Frank's vegetable tree fabric, approximately $250/yard
We’re not the first and we certainly won’t be the last to rue the high price tag attached to Josef Frank’s splendidly graphic and surreal fabric designs. Unable to pay upwards of $200 per yard, but yearning to add some of his Swedish modern aesthetic to our home, we searched for a few inspired alternatives that won’t break the bank.1. Josef Frank's vegetable tree fabric, available from Svenskt Tenn for 890 SEK, plus shipping. Visit Just Scandinavian to find Frank's fabrics here in the US.
2. The price tag ($7.99/yard) and Scandinavian pedigree of these Ikea Patricia (left) and Gunilla (right) fabrics put them at the top of our list.
3. This botanical curtain from Anthropologie, in 84, 96, or 108-inch lengths feels very Josef Frank and isn't a bad deal at $48-68 per panel.
4. A nice botanical print from Studio E for $9.50/yard. We found it online from stich-n-frame.net.
5. This print by Anna Maria Horner from her Good Folks collection is a more subdued choice for $9.50/yard, available from QuiltHome.
6. An aquamarine fabric by Philp Jacobs, also from QuiltHome for $9.50/yard, is colorful and classic at the same time.
7. This floral print from Ballard Designs for $28/yard feels a bit more traditional, but we’re still feeling a Frank influence.
8. Prairie Gothic by Jane Sassaman is certainly a more modern option. It's available from Contemporary Cloth for $14.95/yard.
9. Marimekko's Kierto White designed by Pia Holm can be found at Textile Arts for $52/yard.
10. We wouldn't call this Marimekko pattern designed by Stig Lindberg in the 1950s a bargain at $120/yard, but it's still less pricey than the Josef Frank original.
MORE JOSEF FRANK:
Josef Frank Fabrics
Josef Frank's Carpet Roundup
Design Classic: Josef Frank Wallpaper & Textiles
Good Quotes: Josef Frank