Name: Stephen Stocker and Antwann Nourse
Location: Andersonville, Chicago, Illinois
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years
Two items I spotted at Stephen and Antwann's home: A book by Nate Berkus and a painting of the Superman "S". So what do you get when you cross Superman with Nate Berkus? Ok, technically you would get a very foxy guy who can pick the perfect paint color and fly, but you also get Stephen and Antwann's vibrant mix of modern style and comic-book cool.
As design partners in crime, Stephen and Antwann have blended their tastes and styles to create a space that feels sophisticated, smart, and incredibly happy. Using a divide-and-conquer method, they were able to incorporate elements that are important to both of them: Antwann's love of the bold and modern is apparent in the front of their home, while Stephen's lifelong love of comics and superheroes is celebrated in their dining area. Uniting these two aesthetics is a long hallway that they've turned into a beautiful gallery wall of intimate black-and-white photographs of friends of family. Stephen and Antwann prove that it's possible to be calm, cool, collected, comic-book, color-loving creators of one beautifully cohesive space.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: A healthy mix of what we love, modern pieces, and vintage stuff.
Inspiration: Lodges/cottages, comic art/colors, and being great thieves of ideas.
Favorite Element: Probably the kitchen and dining room being one large room. We have noticed that often in Chicago everything is a separate room. The kitchen/dining room is often the main gathering space when friends and family are visiting.
Biggest Challenge: Finding suitable storage for our ever-expanding wardrobe and love of stuff. Our closet space is laughable. Our solution? First make sure almost every piece of furniture has a storage aspect. Then rent storage spaces until we qualify for a reality show or mental health services.
What Friends Say: We’re not sure what people often say. They rarely seem to want to leave so maybe, “I feel very comfortable here.”
Biggest Embarrassment: The obtrusive countertop in the kitchen. “Who needs that much counter in such a small space?”
Proudest DIY: Probably the painted stripes on the walls. Antwann spent hours taping and painting them to perfection. People often mistake his hard work as wallpaper.
Biggest Indulgence: The lights above our bed. We didn’t need them. They weren’t cheap. We just loved them, so we don’t regret the purchase.
Best Advice: Buy what you like – in time you will find that your unique style will slowly emerge.
Dream Sources: Apartment Therapy. West Elm. Flea markets. Pinterest. Our old brains.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS:
- Living Room: Benjamin Moore Ashley Gray; Stripes: Benjamin Moore: Iron Mountain Gray, Elmira White, Ashley Gray; Bedroom: Benjamin Moore Misty Gray
- Dining Room: Benjamin Moore Custom paint- Antwann’s Green; Benjamin Moore Admiral Blue; Benjamin Moore Elmira White; Benjamin Moore- Kelly Green
- Kitchen: Benjamin Moore Custom paint- Antwann’s Green; Benjamin Moore Admiral Blue; Benjamin Moore Elmira White
- Thumbs Up: Roy’s Furniture (closed)
- Large Mirror: Ikea
- White Stag: West Elm
- Owl Lamp: West Elm
- Amber jars: Midland Antiques (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Bookcase: Nadeau
- Cow skull: Kane County Flea Market
- Cow skin rug: Kane County Flea Market
- Trunk/Coffee Table: Kane County Flea Market
- Couch: West Elm
- Leather Chairs: West Elm
- Bar: Crate and Barrel
- Amber Glass Jars in Fireplace: Midland Antiques (Indianapolis, IN)
- White/Gold end table: Kane County Flea Market and DIY
- Mirror above bar: Picture frame from Kane County Flea Market
- Blue Chair: Midland Antiques (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Mallard: Kane County Flea Market
- Typewriter: Apartment Therapy classifieds
- Wooden Chair: Urbanest
- Dining Table: CB2
- White chairs: World Market/DIY Painted
- Orange Chairs: Roost/DYI Painted
- Bookshelf: Ikea
- Super Mario Brothers Terrarium: Target/DIY
- Desk: Container Store
- Bar Stools: World Market
- Superman painting: DIY
- Cow Skull: Kane County Flea Market; DIY spray-painted blue
- Question Mark Pillow: CB2
- White Metal table: CB2
- Utensil Holders: Ikea
- Dry-erase boards: Crate and Barrel Outlet
- Floor caroet tiles: Flor
- Lighted Jars: DIY
- Bedding: West Elm
- Bed: Danish Inspirations (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- According Wall Sconces: West Elm
- Shelf above bed: CB2
- Paintings: DIY
- Cabinet: Nadeau
- Shoe Pallets: Dumpster/DIY
- Painting: artist friend Wynne York
Thanks, Stephen and Antwann!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Julia Brenner)