What You Need
Materials at least 3-4" of clean, powdery snow
cold temperatures well below freezing
an area rug in need of a good cleaning
a place to hang the rug
1. Hang the rug outdoors for at least 30 minutes to acclimate it to the cold temperature (when we did this it was 8F outside). This will prevent snow from melting on the rug.
2. Lay the rug face down in snow.
3. Beat it thoroughly with a broom.
4. Flip the rug over and beat it again.
5. Sweep the snow from the rug.
6. The deep freeze kills smelly bacteria. Beating in the snow loosens dirt and grime. And sweeping the tiny snow crystals from the face of the rug removes any last particles from the surface. The result is a deodorized, bright and clean rug.
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See all of our Home Hacks tutorials
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own Home Hacks tutorial or idea here!
(Images: Regina Yunghans / Apartment Therapy)