There's a great store on Etsy called Carolina Cottage that really showcases what is possible through Decoupage. See some examples for inspiration after the jump, and find out how to do it yourself...
Pictured are just a couple of the items available for purchases at Carolina Cottage.
If you're up for salvaging some old furniture or even objects, it's not that hard. All you need are the following:
- Decoupage Medium (white glue works just fine, or there are decoupage specific mediums at the craft store)
- Hobby Paintbrushes
- Sponge Paintbrushes
- Old Magazines, vintage maps, dress patterns or comics
Then do the following:
- Apply a small amount of glue or decoupage medium to the area of the prepared surface where you want to place the map or magazine. Smooth the glue out with a small foam paintbrush.
- Apply a small amount of the same glue to the back of the magazine or map, and smooth with a small foam paintbrush.
- Place the magazine or map onto the surface and smooth out the bubbles and wrinkles.
- Maps can be overlapped and rearranged.
- Apply 3 to 4 coats of decoupage or substitute clear varnish for the last coat for a more gloss finish. Make sure each coat dries in between.
- Apply a final coat of acrylic sealant to the surface for a durable finish.
Thanks to eHow.com for steps.