Commercial copper cleaners often contain chemicals that, well, you wouldn't want anywhere near your mouth. So play it safe, and make your own cleaner with three all-natural ingredients that are already in your pantry.
Sea salt, flour, and vinegar—that's it. These all-natural ingredients that are commonly used in baking are all it takes to get your Mule mugs sparkly and clean. You can also clean copper with lemons and salt —but hey, sometimes we forget to buy lemons, so the flour + salt + vinegar combo is a great recipe to have in your collection.
What You Need
- 1/4 Cup fine sea salt
- 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- White vinegar
- Mixing bowl
- Soft rag
1. Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup salt in a small bowl.
2. Slowly add the vinegar while stirring to make a thick paste.
The more vinegar you add, the thinner the paste, so pour slowly!
3. Rub the paste onto the copper using a cloth (a sock works too!) until it shines.
4. Rinse, dry, and put that gorgeous, shiny copper to work!
More great tips and tutorials: Cleaning Basics
Edited from an original post by Rowan Johnson published on November 1, 2010
(Image credits: Ashley Poskin)