When we talk chalkboard paint here at Apartment Therapy, there are invariably those who voice that the trend has run its course. Do you agree?... If you do, and if you have the trend painted onto a surface in your own home, here's how to paint over it:
- Clean the wall thoroughly and allow to dry fully.
- Use fine sandpaper to lightly sand the surface of the chalkboard paint. Pay particular attention to the edges, as chalkboard paint may sit higher than the rest of the paint on the wall.
- Apply a quality oil-based primer to the entire wall. Allow to fully dry.
- Once the primer is fully dry, asses the wall from several angles to see if any lines or chalkboard paint show through the primer. If so, sand and/or re-prime as needed. Allow to fully dry.
- Paint the new color over the entire wall. Allow to fully dry between coats.
Via eHow. Image: This Ain't No Disco