If you've ever forgotten to clean your paint brushes and found them firmly encased in rock hard dry paint, this simple, chemical free How-To could save your paint brushes and have you painting again before anyone is any wiser to your dry paint dilemma. Yay!
What You Need
Just your unmoving paint brush and some trusty white vinegar!
A saucepan and your stovetop.
1. Soak the brush in vinegar for an hour or so until you can bend the bristles.
2. Fill a saucepan with vinegar until the brush bristles are covered.
3. Bring the vinegar to a boil and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for a minute before removing the brush.
5. Gently comb the brush with your fingers. The paint will still be attached but will fall away as you comb it.
6. Rinse the brush under running water to release the loose paint.
7. Depending on how much paint there was you may need to repeat steps 5 and 6 a couple of times, but before you know it your paint brush will be ready for another round!
This method can involve an open flame so only use this for water based paints.
Want more smart tutorials for getting things done around the home?
See more How To posts
We're looking for great examples of your own household intelligence too!
Submit your own tutorials or ideas here!
(Images: Sarah Starkey)