This post is all about gasp-inducing details - elements that stop you in your tracks, take your breath away and, in one fell swoop, transform an ordinary space into an extraordinary one.Some of the details are architectural, and some are the result of dramatic furnishing choices, but each provides an undeniable "wow" in the experience of the room.
1. The breathtaking pocket doors that lead to designer Eser Hakanu's bedroom in his Istanbul home/studio are a modern addition that looks anything but. From Architectural Digest.
2. In this bedroom, the headboard is seamlessly incorporated into the wall in an intricate layering of wood carvings and stencil detail. Via Earth*Wheel*Sky*Caravan.
3. A wall of industrial elements is painted kelly green and punctuated with an oversized clock, providing unexpected, but welcome, relief to an otherwise monochromatic palette. From the July issue of House and Garden via 79 Ideas.
4. A seductive use of dark, richly grained wood from Marcus Lawett challenges one to rethink their preconceived notions of wood paneling. Via Desire to Inspire.
5. An ornately carved Portuguese bed takes center stage in an otherwise neutral space. From Living Etc. via This is Glamorous.
6. A whorled slab of woodgrain creates a statement headboard in this Palm Springs bedroom, featured in Architectural Digest France, via Squish Style.
7. The dramatic archway leading to this Jacques Grange-designed bedroom frames the view beyond and subtly repeats the ribbed architectural detail of the fireplace and ceiling. From his book Jacques Grange Interiors, via Design Crisis.
8. An enormous pivoting window punctuates the wall of this bedroom, clearly placing the focus on the relationship between inside and out. From The Natural Home, via Fonda LaShay Design.
9. A wall of curtains creates a theatrical point of entry for this bedroom, designed by UXUS, and sets the stage for the dramatic design beyond. Via French by Design.
10. It's the layering of details that makes this bedroom so extraordinary. The large round window, the oversized artwork, the mixing of prints; all combine to create one cohesive whole, thanks to a tight color palette of red, blue, white and black. From the book Oberto Gili, Home Sweet Home: Sumptuous and Bohemian Interiors via Mrs. Blandings.
(Images: as linked above)