Name: Lucie Ayres, interior designer at 22 Interiors & Chris Ayres, author & journalist
Location: Hollywood Hills; Los Angeles, California
Size: 2,750 square feet
Years lived in: 7 years
Lucie and her husband Chris bought their house after falling in love with the dramatic living room and the history of the home. The 1927 Spanish Colonial was previously owned by Hollywood developer Charles C. Toberman, known as "Mr. Hollywood" for developing much of Hollywood and many of its landmarks, such as the Hollywood Bowl and the Egyptian Theater. They have original photographs of the home being built, and even the marketing brochures for Outpost Estates, where the home is located.
Lucie and Chris' historic home has also taken on Lucie and Chris' personalities, with "Barry" the buffalo in the living room, loads of heirlooms, and fun colors spicing up many of the rooms. Lucie tries to mix many different styles so the home doesn't feel too "rustic cabin". And of course, she is also conscientious about preserving the home's original character while putting their own stamp on the space.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: A fresh mix of old, new, meaningful, and eccentric.
Inspiration: All things Ralph Lauren Home, Coco Chanel's Paris apartment, and various issues of Italian Vogue's Casa.
Favorite Element: Definitely the dramatic living room, which features the sleeper sofa I bought from my husband on Craigslist when I moved to Los Angeles — that's how we met!
Biggest Challenge: The balance of scale and color in each room.
What Friends Say: They love the paint colors I chose — most people are too scared to go bold with color
Biggest Embarrassment: As with any parent, toys everywhere.
Proudest DIY: Converting the small downstairs closet into my hot pink office.
Biggest Indulgence: Our built-in library/TV cabinet and custom built arched doorway for my husband's office.
Best Advice: Add an element of interest and/or surprise in each room!
Dream Sources: Ralph Lauren Home.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Jennifer Convertibles sleeper sofa - reupholstered in a navy velvet by Ferrufino
- Anthropologie Chesterfield
- Custom coffee table made by Lucie's father
- Black and white chairs by Empiric Studio
- Custom sisal wool rug from Pottery Barn
- Zebra design cowhide rug from ABC Home
- Marilyn Monroe by Dan Trantina
- Untitled by Dan Trantina
- Key Collection by Roman Macela
- Viking stove
- GE Monogram refrigerator
- Viking microwave
- Antique daybeds
- Arm Yourself, Beauty is a Bitch, Watch Your Back artwork by Shana Frase
Thanks, Lucie & Chris!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Marcia Prentice)