Name: Jesse Leake, Photographer
Location: Lower Pacific Heights; San Francisco, California
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: 10 years; Rented
The antithesis of the proverbial bachelor pad, photographer Jesse Leake’s well-considered space is evidence that stereotypes are meant to be broken.
A reflection of his globetrotting, artistic endeavors and eye for the offbeat, the space hits all of the right notes. Clean, masculine edges are softened by a great mix of textures, and a palette of neutrals is accented expertly with just the right amount of color.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Vintage, Industrial, Modern with a Southwestern twist.
Inspiration: The beach, mountains, desert, and the 50’s.
Favorite Element: I like how the windows swing open in the sun room and how bright and airy the flat is.
Biggest Challenge: There's not a lot of closet space, so I had to furnish with quite a few cabinets, chests, and dressers.
What Friends Say: The place has character, charm and is cozy.
Biggest Embarrassment: My sofa hand me down in the sun room. It looks like I’ve had it since college, but I like how comfortable it is.
Proudest DIY: The bedside table was a black school desk. I had it powder coated white and replaced the particle board desktop with a teak wood butcher block.
Biggest Indulgence: The rug in the meeting/living room.
Best Advice: Your home is your sanctuary, so create a space that is comfortable and that you enjoy coming home to.
Dream Sources: The Alameda flea market, Etsy, eBay, garage sales, West Elm.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS (Kelly Moore & Restoration Hardware)
• Pure White in Meeting Room, Guest Room, half of Kitchen and half of Bath
• Light Grey in Hallway and Bath
• Light Blue in Bedroom
• Light Green in Dining/Sun Room
• Pumice in Office
Reclaimed wood coffee table: I sketched it and picked out the old barn wood from, Micah, at Black’s Farm wood in San Rafael. My friend, Jordan Hu, built it.
• Sofa: Furniture Envy
• Old Theater chairs: Alameda Flea Market
• Book Case: Crate and Barrel
• Rug: Crate and Barrel
• Eames Chair: Craigslist
• Cement Coffee Table and Side Table: CB2
• Set of White Leather Chairs: Ikea
• Pillows on Chairs: Large Pillows from West Elm
• Hungarian Cooking Pot: Alameda Flea Market
• Driftwood Lamp: Driftwooddecor.com
• Washing Bin with Succulents: Flea Market
• Succulents: Flora Grub
• Teapot and Tray: Marrakesh, Morocco
• Collage of Wedding Work: Printed by lightwaves. Laid out by my designer friend, Michelle Min.
• Large Print of Fisherman: Shot at Inlay Lake, Myanmar.
• Print of Blue Door: Shot in Chefchaouen, Morocco.
• Dining Room Table and Benches: My friend, Alison Hotchkiss, by Roost, co.
• Sheepskin on Benches: Ikea
• Set of Wooden Chairs: Flea Market
• Surveyor Tripod Lamp: Alameda Flea Market.
• Green Sofa: My friend, Griffin.
• Pillow on Sofa: Turkey
• Snowboard Table: Custom Burton Board. Legs from Tablelegs.com.
• Surveyor Tripod Lamp: Base from Alameda Flea Market, Shade from West Elm.
• Black Lamp: Base from Crate and Barrel, Shade from Lamps Plus.
• Runner on Table: Gift from a friend.
• Reclaimed Wood Side Table: Roost, co.
• B&W Print of Girl: Shot in Bolivia
• B&W Print of Surfer: Shot at Cronkite Beach
GUEST ROOM/ TV ROOM
• Sofa: Furniture Envy. Shirley and her husband, Brian, were awesome to work with.
• Coffee Table: Room and Board
• Leaning Bookshelf: Room and Board
• Antler Lamp: West Elm
• Black Lamp: West Elm
• Recycled Denim Rug: West Elm
• Vases on Coffee Table: Heath Ceramics
• Cow Skull: Todos Santos, Mexico
• Skateboard: My friend, Mark Rinderknecht.
• Native American B&W Prints: eBay, Bamboo frames: Cheap Pete's
• Acoma Pottery: eBay
• Wooden Camels, Morocco
• Air Plants: Flora Grub
• Fishing Weight Book Ends: Restoration Hardware
• Vintage Media Cabinet: Alameda Flea Market
• Wood Side Table: Alameda Flea Market
• Gold Side Table: West Elm
• Print on Leaning Shelves: Shot in Sahara Desert, Morocco
• 1971 Print: Scott Hansen
• Woodcut Print of Bull Herd: Inherited from grandmother, Dorothy Hughes.
• Faux fur throw on sofa: Restoration Hardware
• Navajo pillows on sofa: Etsy
• Other pillows on sofa: West Elm
• Vintage Cooler: Brian at Alameda Flea Market
• Vintage Dr. Pepper Sign: eBay
• Vintage Pepsi Sign: eBay
• Vintage Colanders and Graters: eBay and Etsy
• Island and Stools: Ikea
• Overhead Industrial Light: Lamps Plus
• Bowls: Heath Ceramics
• Vintage Toledo Scale: Alameda Flea Market
• Vintage Porcelain Pitchers: Alameda Flea Market/Etsy
• Reclaimed Wood Bed: West Elm
• Dressers: Ikea
• Locker: Ikea
• Lanterns: Roost, co.
• Buddha: Kathmandu, Nepal
• Vintage Juggling Pins: Flea market/Etsy/eBay
• Bed Side Lamp: West Elm
• Small Nightstand: (Was used for chicken feed.) Alameda Flea Market
• Desk Nightstand: Base, School Supply Outlet (Powder coated at west coast powder coating.) Butcher Block Top, Discount Kitchen Supply
• Calder Poster: Inherited from grandmother, Dorothy Hughes.
• Painting of Girl Washing Hair: Hoi Ann, Vietnam
• Bicycle Planter: MDC Interiors on Etsy
• “Girl with a Pearl Earring” poster: from a Vemeer book: framed at Cheap Pete’s. My grandmother always had that painting in her house and it reminds me of her.
• Deer Head - Deerheadden.com
• Grey Bowl on Dresser: Heath Ceramics
• Union Jack School Chairs: Alameda Flea Market
• Bedding: Pottery Barn
• Rug: Crate and Barrel
• Desk: Ikea
• Metal Cabinets: Flax
• White Shelves: Ikea
• Chair: Passion Décor
• Chalk Board: Pottery Barn
• Buddha: Yogaworks
• Polaroid Camera: Flea Market
• Red Leica Camera: Etsy
• Lamp: Ikea
• Magnet Boards: Ikea
• B&W Canvas Print of Surfer: Taken of my friend, Max Sarrazin, at Ocean Beach.
• Organized by my cousin, Erica Hunt
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.