Name: Jessica, Scott and Bryan Davis
Location: Millburn, New Jersey
Size: 2,100 square feet, including basement (1,400 square feet above ground)
Years lived in: 1 year
Jessica, Scott and Bryan relocated from sunny California to Millburn, New Jersey last fall. Their home has quickly been transformed into an inviting and cozy dwelling.
Jessica is an interior designer and founder of Nest Studio. She dedicates her time to designing hardware fixtures, updating her blog, and handling residential projects in the New York and New Jersey area. Her home is full of small projects — from stenciled kitchen floors to custom metal hardware, her unique sense of style demands to be noticed. My favorite project was the powder room wallpaper. It was fun and playful, transporting me the golden age of travel and safari. Bryan's room was another treat, with vintage auto mechanic posters hanging above his crib. All of these moments add up to a home that will be a fantastic nest, home, and playground for years to come.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic – a mix of antiques and mid-century. Neutral with a pop of color.
Inspiration: The house itself. Our house in LA (where we moved from) had a completely different style. I re-used furniture and décor but there were certain things that didn’t fit with the size, style and period of our house. I like to be eclectic, but I wanted to make sure to honor the house and not force anything onto it style wise.
Favorite Element: My built-ins in the living room. They add much needed display space and coat storage, as well as hiding our media systems, cleaning supplies and games and providing extra seating. The mirrored overlay panels add some architectural detail and bounce the light around in the space, making it feel bigger.
Biggest Challenge: This house is small and we have tons of toys (which seem to be multiplying). There is also no entry foyer, so we really needed to maximize storage in the living room and create a place to store coats and shoes.
What Friends Say: Our friends love the light in our house, as well as the livability of it despite its design.
Biggest Embarrassment: The fact that I am still using a shower curtain to cover my kitchen nook cushion. One of these days I’ll sew it into an actual cover.
Proudest DIY: Definitely my stenciled kitchen floors by far.
Biggest Indulgence: My Cole & Sons Fornasetti wallpaper in the powder room. It’s like a little whimsical jewel box. At least it didn’t require a lot of yardage!
Best Advice: Don’t scrimp on upholstery fabrics, especially for your everyday use items like sofas. You want them to be beautiful, durable and high quality.
Dream Sources: Kelly Wearstler, Christopher Farr Cloth, Holly Hunt
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
|Shutters / top rails||Tricorn Black SW6258||Sherwin Williams||High Gloss|
|Window Frame / trim||Porpoise SW7047||Sherwin Williams||High Gloss|
|Columns / Spindles|
|Front Door||Quilt Gold SW6696||Sherwin Williams||High Gloss|
|Porch Ceiling||Sky High SW6504||Sherwin Williams||High Gloss|
|All Ceilings||Repose Gray SW7015||Sherwin Williams||Flat|
|All Trim / LR Built-ins||Downy SW7002||Sherwin Williams||High Gloss|
|All Interior Doors||Domino SW6989||Sherwin Williams||High Gloss|
|Living / Upstairs Hall||Intellectual Gray SW7045||Sherwin Williams||Satin|
|Dining||To match Restoration Hardware Flint SIlex||Restoration Hardware||Satin|
|Kitchen||Dovetail SW7018||Sherwin Williams||Satin|
|Kitchen Floor||Anew Gray SW7030||Sherwin Williams||High Gloss|
|Master Bedroom||Anonymous SW7046||Sherwin Williams||Satin|
|Bryan's Room||277||Ben Moore||Satin|
|Study||Repose Greay SW7015||Sherwin WIlliamsn||Satin|
|Bathroom||Repose Greay SW7015||Sherwin WIlliamsn||Semi-Gloss|
|Basement||Repose Greay SW7015||Sherwin WIlliamsn||Satin|
|Basement bath||Sky High SW6504||Sherwin Williams||Semi-Gloss|
- Built-in Panels: Over'lays //www.myoverlays.com/
- Grey Ikat Pillow: Spark Modern //www.etsy.com/shop/
- Orange Ikat Pillow: //www.etsy.com/shop/
- Grey fabric at Roman Shades: Gray Line Linens
- Trim at Roman Shades: M&J Trimming
- Sofa: The Sofa Company
- Coffee Table: IKEA
- Wing Chair Fabric: Spoon Flower - fabric by Domesticate //www.spoonflower.com/
- Upholstery of Wing Chair: Aravena's Upholstery
- Side Chair Fabric: Spoon Flower - fabric by Weavingmajor //www.spoonflower.com/
- Trim at Side Chair: M&J Trimming
- Magazine Holder: Home Goods
- Sconce: Shades of Light //www.shadesoflight.com/
- Rug: West Elm
- Various Pillows (mostly the black and white and grey ones): Spark Modern //www.etsy.com/shop/
- Living Room Bookshelf Sconces: Schoolhouse Electric Co.
- Chairs: Room Service //www.roomservicestore.
- Table: refurbished, owner sourced
- Chandelier: Jonathan Adler //www.jonathanadler.com/
Ventana-two-tier-Chandelier/? xid= 7c99bab60f4e592ecff45c8e1d3431 72
- Bar Cart: Ballard Designs
- Drapery Fabric: Spoonflower //www.spoonflower.com/
- Drapery Hardware: Restoration Hardware //www.
restorationhardware.com/ catalog/product/product.jsp? productId=prod1160119& categoryId=cat960028
- Similar Credenza (west elm probably has something similar - ours is vintage from the Rose Bowl)
- Coral Lamp: Z Gallerie
- Orange Urns: Home Goods
- Drapery Fabrication: Curtain Cathy, Cranford, NJ
- Bamboo Shades: The Home Depot
- Pendant Light at Sink: Restoration Hardware //www.
restorationhardware.com/ catalog/product/product.jsp? productId=prod691039&cm_ps= modal_add_to_cart-_-none-_- other_items_you_may_like& categoryId=cat1701013
- Faucet: Newport Brass
- Hardware: Nest Studio //nest-studio.myshopify.
- Turquoise Bowl: Home Goods
- Grey platter: Home Goods
- Orange and White dish towels: IKEA
- Floor Stencil: Cutting Edge Stencils //www.
cuttingedgestencils.com/ stencils-wall-stencil-shipibo. html
- Baskets at Island: Pottery Barn //www.potterybarn.com/
products/jacquelyne-rattan- baskets/?pkey=cbaskets-trays- decor&cm_src=baskets-trays- decor||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_—_-
- Book Shelf: IKEA
- Wall Shelves: IKEA
- Chair: Ny Chair from Tortoise General Store //www.
tortoisegeneralstore.com/ online_store/index.php/by- category/furniture/ny-chair- regular-1.html
- Bryan's light fixture: CB2Rug: Cottage Stripe Rug, LL Bean
- Nightstands: Serena & Lily
- Headboard: West Elm //www.westelm.com/
products/nailhead-upholstered- headboard-f821/?pkey= cheadboards-bed-frames&
- Wallcovering panels: Robert Crowder: //www.robertcrowder.com/
pgarden.htmlPlaid Pillow covers: IKEA
- Coverlet: Target
- Yellow Pillow: Target
- Orange Pillows: Owner's from trip to India
- Duvet: West Elm
- Sconces: Restoration Hardware //www.
restorationhardware.com/ catalog/product/product.jsp? productId=prod2111683& categoryId=cat1701019
- Drapery: Target //www.target.com/p/
- Drapery Hardware: Pottery Barn //www.potterybarn.com/
products/pb-standard-metal- drape-rod-endcap-finial- antique-bronze/?pkey=cpb- standard-antique-bronze&cm_ src=Quickbuy&sku=6904742&qty=1
- Rug: Rugs USA //www.rugsusa.com/
rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-malabar- chevron/silver/200AKMA1A-8010. html
- Pendant: Shades of Light //www.shadesoflight.com/
- Wreath: Home Decorator's Collection
detail.php?parentid=07365&aid= google.push&skwcid=PTC!pla!!! 51846053899!g!!24871926739& gclid=CMKis8vsyrcCFc- Z4Aod02IAjg
- Sconces: Shades of Light //www.shadesoflight.com/
- Mailbox: Restoration Hardware //www.shadesoflight.com/
- House Numbers: The Hardware Hut //www.thehardwarehut.com/
Thanks, Jessica, Scott and Bryan!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!