Name: John Conneely, general contractor/owner of California Modern, and Erin Sheehan
Location: Eagle Rock; Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: 3 1/2 years
John immediately fell in love with this Eagle Rock Mid-Century house, and during its remodel he found a letter in the wall saying that the house was built with lots of love. He felt that good energy when he first walked into the house.
Erin knew John for over a year before she saw his home. When they started dating and became serious, Erin visited his house for the first time and was very impressed with his taste. They've since moved in together. In the process of making this beautiful house into a home for the two of them, Erin discovered that John had great artwork tucked away, and his Saarinen table and Bertoia chairs were outside and forgotten about. It took Erin's vision to bring everything together, creating a mix of furnishings that perfectly complements the home's dramatic architecture.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: John: California modern; Erin: Simple/modest.
Inspiration: The house itself.
Favorite Element: The architectural grid and the simplicity of the structure.
Biggest Challenge: Picking colors.
What Friends Say: The house is welcoming and feels like you are on vacation.
Biggest Embarrassment: The lack of a dog.
Proudest DIY: Repurposing the office, which I had planned for a closet.
Biggest Indulgence: My girlfriend.
Best Advice: I can't pick colors, so the colors were given to me by architect Herve Daridan for the interiors and designer Mau Rainor for the exterior.
Dream Sources: Vitra - Jean Prouve.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Saarinen table
- Bertonia chairs
- George Holstein - horse artwork (email@example.com)
- Espresso machine - Illy Francis Francis X1
- Toaster - Dualit 2-slice classic - Target (online only)
- Samsung refrigerator
- Armani Casa - plates and place settings
- Old Made Good collage by Ashley Sheehan - located in hallway bookcase
Thanks, John & Erin!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Marcia Prentice)