Name: Kristin Salazar
Location: San Diego, California
Size: 3,000 square feet
Years lived in: 10 — owned
We've seen Kristin's ingenious concealment of her garage door opener and we turned to her when we needed a tutorial on installing glass in solid cabinet doors. Now we finally get a chance to see Kristin's entire house.
Kristin's home is what I picture as my ideal California dream home. From the easy breezy style and open floorplan to the fabulous stone fireplace and abundance of detailed steelwork, I'm in love with Kristin's uncommon slice of suburbia.
I also appreciate that Kristin has put together this gorgeous home on a budget. As she mentions in her survey, Kristin doesn't pay full price for anything. That's my kind of lady! It doesn't take a lot of money to look like a million bucks, as this tour demonstrates.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Traditional with a french cottage flair.
Inspiration: HGTV, design magazines
Favorite Element: The open floor plan with high ceilings.
Biggest Challenge: The kitchen by far has been the biggest challenge for us but has given us the most satisfaction.
What Friends Say: We have done a great job making our home inviting, warm and lived in.
Biggest Embarrassment: Too embarrassing to say :)
Proudest DIY: Having the kitchen published in Better Homes and Gardens.
Biggest Indulgence: Knocking out the wall between the family and living room. With a growing family the traditional layout of a formal living room was not working for us. We worked our tails off to save our money and hired out a contractor to knock the wall down so we would have one large open floor plan. In our home there is not one space off limits to our kids!
Best Advice: Be patient, creating a home you love takes time. Don't be afraid to paint even if the item is new! Keep your large pieces of furniture neutral. Add color using smaller pieces that can easily be changed out and doesn't cost much!
Dream Sources: I read a plethora of magazines and blogs. Craigslist is our best friend! All of our kitchen appliances were purchased off CL for a fraction of the cost. I rarely ever pay full price for anything!
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Master bedroom: Sherwin Williams Zircon 7667
• Dining Room/halls/upstairs: Benjamin Moore Bleeker Beige
• Guest Room: Ace Paints Chelsea by the Sea
• Kitchen cabinets: Sherwin Williams Summer White
• Kitchen island: Glidden, onyx black
• All Trim and ceiling: Swiss Coffee
• Family Room: Dunn Edwards Inside Passage tinted 200%
Images: Kristin Salazar
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.