We fill our rooms with furniture, throw pillows, blankets, books, art, light fixtures, hardware, and miscellaneous decorative objects. That's a whole lot of look, but the perfect rug can bring it all together...
- Natalie and Kevin's Perfect Parkdale Perch: This poppy rug manages to unite not just the other bright colors (the pillows, the bottles) but the neutral elements (orange-y wood floors, cream walls, charcoal couch) as well.
- Rachel & Brett's "Resourcefully Chic" Family Home: Not only does this rug neatly distinguish the eating area from the rest of the room, it plays well with all of the orange, green, and yellow accents.
- Alexandra & Mike's Bright and Colorful Family Nest: Not only is this long, narrow rug absolutely perfect for this space, it's the perfect thing to bring together the colorful wall, planter, mixer, and even the flowers and lemons.
- Ava's Bohemian Bedroom: Who knew a pink rug could be just the thing to make a room look so crisp and modern? This particular rug is almost the opposite of the white-with-pink-accents room in inhabits.
- Mark's Comfortable Contemporary: I highly recommend you check out all of the photos of this room — the rug interacts with each wall completely differently, yet brings them all together so well.
6. Matthew's Magical Woodland Wonderland: Here is proof that a rug need not be bright in order to unify a room. This irresistibly fuzzy specimen provides a calm center for the room's many marvels.
7. Jessie & Jon's Colorfully Collected Home: This crisp grey and white rug ties together all of the black-and-white art, frames, pillows, and lights.
8. Mike's Surprising Student Studio: Mike's immaculate sheepskin rug ties together all of the white elements in the room, including the couch cushions, chair, room divider, light, and even his shirts.
9. Irina's Modern Xanadu: Okay, call me crazy, but I think this black-and-white rug both provides a neutral base for all of the colorful book jackets and references all of the black-and-white pages to be found within.
10. Erin & Rob's Stylish & Glam Family Pad: This fluffy rug unifies the crisp black-and-white palette upon which all of the other design elements — gold, silver, marble, wood — rest.
(Image credits: Kathryn Bacalis; Nicole Crowder; Nancy Mitchell; Monica Wang; Alexis Buryk; Kristen Lubbe; Carolyn Purnell; Lindsay Tella)