Name: Oliver (graphic designer), Sherrie, and Cookie (a four-year-old Pekingese)
Location: Bronx, New York
Size: 525 square feet
Years lived in: Under 2 years; Rented
After living and volunteering abroad, Oliver and Sherrie had to start their home from scratch. Their experience in a third world country had a big influence on the way they approached furnishing their apartment. After witnessing disadvantaged families cherish what little they had and realizing how much goes to waste in NYC, every effort was made to rescue and recycle what have now become the couple’s most cherished pieces.
It was important to the couple to keep the space minimal and bright, as it only had one source of natural light, the balcony door. Their love of travel and culture is subtly hinted in the various art and sculptures throughout the home with African, Asian and Native Canadian influences. Their own artistic contributions round out the collection. Its also no surprise that the couple have opted out of having a TV in their home, as their adorable, energetic pekingese is a constant source of entertainment!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Vintage Modern.
Inspiration: We are inspired by the things we find as well as NYC, our travels, vintage shops, flea markets, Irving Harper, and Kalipay Negrense Home.
Favorite Element: The high ceilings and spiral staircase.
Biggest Challenge: Getting furniture upstairs. The mattress was a killer!
What Friends Say: "You got that where?!"
Biggest Embarrassment: The ugly AC vent and the mess inside our closets!
Proudest DIY: The slatted deck on the balcony –Oliver. All the re-upholstery on the mid-century chairs –Sherrie.
Biggest Indulgence: Our dog, Cookie.
Best Advice: Be resourceful, but take time to inspect and clean secondhand items before bringing them into your home. We've been extremely lucky with our finds, but not everything is worth taking!
Dream Sources: Knoll, MoMa Store, WhiteTrashNYC, DwellStudio
Resources of Note:
- HELLO Art - J.Heloise
- Foot Stool - Found
- Bench - Craigslist
- Round Dining Table - DIY (Top - Craigslist, Base - Curb Rescue)
- Ikea Dining Chairs - Curb Rescue
- Rocker - Thrifted
- Lounge Chair, Record Cabinet, Mid Century Chairs, End Table - Curb Rescue
- Fabric for upholstery - Ikea clearance bin
- Wood Monkey Sculpture - Philippines
- Coffee Table - Craigslist
- Framed Native Canadian Art - Ebay
- Throw pillows - Ikea / CB2 / Handmade
- Ikea Couch - Craigslist
- Spiral stair: Mylen Stairs
- Steelcase Chairs & Ikea Desk - Curb Rescue
- Ikea Bedframe, CB2 Filing Cabinet, Mid Century End Tables, Bench - Craigslist
- 3-drawer Dresser, Vases - Thrifted
- Kokeshi Dolls - Ebay / Fleamarket
- Raffia Linen Tray - Chiang Mai
- Wood Boar / Carabao - Philippines
Thanks, Oliver & Sherrie!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!