Name: Pietsie Campbell, Stephen Hootstein, and Charlie
Location: Echo Park - Los Angeles, California
Size: 800 square feet
Years lived in: 4 years
Pietsie and her husband had sold their house and were on the hunt for another great place. After having no luck finding a place that really inspired them, Pietsie found a gem in Echo Park. The house was only 800 square feet, but the landlord was none other than the modern architect, Barbara Bestor.
How could Pietsie pass up the opportunity to live in a Barbara Bestor rental? She signed the lease while her husband was at work and even though her husband didn't like that she moved so quickly, after a short period of time in the house he was convinced that their home was very special.
From the street the home is hidden behind greenery; therefore, it is very private. It really feels like you are in your own retreat. Did I also mention they have two hammocks? I am in love! Pietsie and Stephen know that as their little girl gets older they are going to have to move into a home with more space, but they are having a hard time letting go of their perfect little rental.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Simple, rustic, small, and efficient.
Inspiration: Clean, spare spaces (even though it's not quite that!), Scottish or Norwegian cottage.
Favorite Element: The wood paneling painted white.
Biggest Challenge: Keeping the clutter to a minimum.
What Friends Say: "It's a Maine cabin in the city!'
Biggest Embarrassment: The mismatched lightbulbs - because they're exposed (which I love), they should really be consistent, but of course they're not.
Proudest DIY: Putting together mail order items with complicated directions.
Biggest Indulgence: Air conditioning and sprinklers for the garden!
Best Advice: If it's not used or loved for a year get rid of it! Find a good upholsterer and he/she will be able to make pillows and cushions out of old fabrics that you find at the flea market and recover old chairs with great old blankets you can find on places like etsy.com or ebay.com
Dream Source: Nickey Kehoe. My friend Caitlin just came back from Morocco and shipped back a load of gorgeous rugs and textiles - pretty much the best place in the world for that sort of thing!
Resources of Note:
- Okeefe and Merritt stove: ebay.com
- Matteo Linens: I go to the outlet in downtown L.A. - everything is 60% off
- Jielde Lamps: Mohawk General Store
- Homemade Bottle Lamps using Make-a-lamp kit: Amazon.com
RUGS & CARPETS
- Caitlin Wylde
- Caleb Speller
- Karin Apollonia Mueller
- Marcy Freedman
- Brazilian Fabric Hammocks with fringe: Hammocks.com
- Baskets: Dosa
- Kevin Carney at Mohawkgeneralstore.net for vintage stereo equipment
Thanks Pietsie, Stephen, & Charlie!
Images: Juan Enriquez
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.