It is clear that stainless steel appliances are not going away any time soon. I love the way they look-- adding stainless steel appliances will instant modernity to any kitchen, and their reflective surfaces will make smaller kitchens look bigger. But just like with my iPhone, one of the things that I do not enjoy about my stainless steel appliances is how easily they get fingerprint smudges.A couple of months ago I finally said enough is enough, and went on a mini crusade in search of the best solution for removing fingerprints from stainless steel. I decided to focus on simple solutions using products that I already own, knowing, from experience, that some of the best solutions are the simplest ones.
Surprisingly, most of the things I tried worked fairly well, to similar results, but none of them kept fingerprint marks away for too long. I had to clean my appliances regularly — about once a week %mdash; but if you clean on a regular basis, getting rid of fingerprints from your appliances should not take more than a few minutes.
Here are some tips to keeping your appliances free of fingerprint smudges:
- Clean with mild soap and water, using a soft cloth.
- Clean with white vinegar and a damp soft cloth.
- Clean with soda water.
- Polish with a clean soft cloth and a dab of olive oil or baby oil.
- Polish with a clean soft cloth and lemon juice.
- After cleaning with mild soap and water, polish with a sheepskin cloth.
- After cleaning with mild soap and water, use furniture polish—wipes are the most convenient.
- Clean with Windex or other streak free glass cleaner.
Do you have any more tips? What do you do to keep your stainless steel appliances in tip-top shape?
Image: Heejin Hwang