Name: Robert Harbour
Location: Eagle Rock; Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,500 square feet
Years lived in: Less than 6 months
You may remember Robert's previous home from his house tour 2 years ago. He emailed me a few months ago, saying he purchased a beautiful new midcentury home and was in the process of restoring it. Robert has used a handful of the same furnishings in his new place, while making a few new purchases. He was especially inspired to show how furniture and decor can be versatile and work in many different styles of interiors.
It is always nice to see a home with great architecture fall into the hands of a designer who appreciates its original beauty. Robert was committed to restoring the home to its original Midcentury glory, and making sure that any additional touches would compliment the home's style. My favorite part of the house is the kitchen, which has remained miraculously untouched through the years.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Mid-Century pushed.
Inspiration: The existing architecture.
Favorite Element: The post and beam ceilings.
Biggest Challenge: The two freeways right outside my house.
What Friends Say: That it's a great entertaining home.
Biggest Embarrassment: The two freeways.
Proudest DIY: The pond out front, and the fountain in the back.
Biggest Indulgence: New HVAC.
Best Advice: Maintain the original architecture.
Dream Sources: A dead celebrity's estate sale.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Concrete counters by contractor
- Blackboard chalk wall paint
- Cork floors
- Cork floors
- Garage sale furniture
- Splurged on expensive bed from Macy's
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Marcia Prentice)