Name: Sabrina Soto
Location: Upper West Side, New York
Size: 1200 square feet, 2 bedroom, 2 bath rental
Years Lived In: 7 months
Sabrina, an HGTV designer and personality, just moved to NYC from Washington DC for her new show. She downsized from a sizeable house to a brand new 2-bedroom luxury rental, basically starting over from scratch.
Sabrina's vision for her sun-drenched, penthouse apartment was to keep things neutral but to add a lot of color through accessories — both natural and man-made. As the Target Style Expert for Home, she has done a lot of work with Missoni for Target so you'll notice pieces from that line around the apartment. Sabrina also included antiques and vintage pieces throughout to ensure a unique look.
Mixed in with the more expensive pieces are easy and accessible DIY solutions with a big impact. For example, for the master bathroom, Sabrina bought a bunch of inexpensive frames, painted them all the same color, and mounted them in a clusters on opposing walls.
The result is a crisp, fun home full of clean lines, and lots of well spaced spots to take in the view.
Apartment Therapy Survey
Style: Casual Colorful Modern
Inspiration: New York City
Favorite Element: The view of Central Park.
Biggest Challenge: The lack of time I had to decorate my own space. As they say, the cobbler's children have no shoes.
What Friends Say: They think it's a fun and sophisticated space, which is a great compliment.
Biggest Embarrassment: Not realizing that my sofa was a bit too high, so I had to cut the metal legs myself on set.
Proudest DIY: My carbon steel coffee table. I had it made in a commercial kitchen manufacturing plant in Brooklyn and blackened it in the backyard of my friends place nearby. Needless to say, it's a VERY heavy piece, but can double as a dance floor if need be.
Biggest Indulgence: The Michio Takayama painting above the couch.
Best Advice: Although most makeover shows are about 22 minutes in length, it takes a lot longer than that to put together a cohesive room design. Take your time, don't rush the process.
Dream Source: ABC Home & Carpet, Etsy.com, Target, AllModern.com, Ebay, NYC Flea Markets
PAINT & COLORS
• Master Bedroom: Benjamin Moore — Gray Husky
• Office: Benjamin Moore — Silver Springs
• Console - LAX floating console
• Acrylic Wine Rack - CB2
• Martini Shaker - Missoni for Target
• Clear tealight holders - Two's Company
• Vintage Radio - Pip & Estella
• Art - Michio Takayama
• Media Console - Design Within Reach
• Decorative Plate - Missoni for Target
• Chairs - Gus Modern
• Vertical Garden - Urbio
• Frank Gehry Wiggle Chair - estate sale
• Planters - West Elm
• Vintage Glass Water Buoy - pipandestella.com
• Vintage Fans - A few are from ebay and others were passed down from family members
• Table — Room & Board
• Chairs — Herman Miller Eames
• Chandelier — Iacoli & McAllister
• Bed — West Elm
• Bedding — Dwell Studio
• Bedding — Target
• Lamps — Jonathan Adler
• Pillows — Etsy & Gracious Home
• Pouf — Calypso Home for Target
• Felt Basket — Target
• Accessories and Frames — Target
• Towels — Target
• Wall Art — Kenneth Wingard
• Framed Tiles — Target
• Vintage Frames — Ebay, flea markets
• Shower Curtain — Custom
Images: Jill Slater
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.