Name: Samantha Rose
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Room Size: 13' x 13'
I love when a nursery strikes that perfect balance between being sweet enough for a baby, but sophisticated enough for the grown ups in the family to feel right at home as well. Ryan and April managed to do just that when they created this lovely nursery for their baby girl, Samantha Rose. Because they didn't know the gender ahead of time, their goal was to create a sweet, light and bright space that would work for a little guy or gal alike.
How would you describe the look and feel of this room?
Bohemian and modern, yet traditional...and not TOO over-the-top baby.
What is your favorite piece or element?
There are so many items we love in the room. The dresser was used by April's grandfather and father as children and was recently restored by April's dad. The wallpaper is also a favorite of ours!
What was the biggest challenge decorating this room?
April did all of the design of the room, and her vision was great! We didn't find out Samantha's gender, and therefore finding a way to decorate the room that was sweet regardless of the gender was the hardest part and yet the most fun!
What do your friends say about the room?
The response to the room has been overwhelming. Everyone that sees the space seems to love it! Because it's gender neutral everyone including ourselves love spending time there.
Do you have any advice for parents creating a room for their child?
Have fun with it. Don't be afraid to use pieces you love, and the space doesn't have to be over-the-top baby-like.
If money were no object, what's your dream source?
Probably a combo of our local stores - Seed and Baby Braithwaite...and Serena and Lily has some great stuff as well.
I love the color palette - what was the inspiration?
We wanted the room to feel light and not too heavy. Couple that with the fact there are only so many gender neutral colors, and we came up with the blue- green, yellow, and touches of other brighter colors.
The three art frames above the crib are from one of our favorite artists, Michelle Armas. We have a large piece of hers and wanted to bring some of the same colors into Samantha’s room. These are from her calendar, and each is signed/numbered.
- Paint: Benjamin Moore's White Linen
- Drapes: Serena and Lily
- Drape Rod: RHW
- Changing table/dresser: Restoration Hardware
- Crib sheet and changing table cover: Land of Nod
- Lamp: West Elm
- Lampshade: Anthropologie
- Glider: Target
- Side table by rocker: Target
- Rug: IKEA
- Ottoman: Nordstrom
- Crib: Babyletto Hudson
- Pillow: BlaBla
- Art Prints: Michelle Armas
- Starburst Mirrow: showroom at the Mart from a few years back.
- Dolls, pillow on glider, and playmat: BlaBla Baby
- Art above the tall dresser: a screen-print April has had forever. No clue of the artist.
- Tall dresser: Has been in April’s family for several generations and was actually Aprils father's as a baby. He stripped and refinished it for us to use – including the original hardware.
- Brass owl: was my grandmother's who passed away a few years back.
Thanks, Ryan and April! Readers, to see more of Ryan and April you can visit their website, Ryan Hayslip.