Name: Sarah Becker, of Sarah Becker Skincare
Location: Pacific Heights; San Francisco, California
Size: 500 square feet
Years lived in: 6 years; Rented
Upon stepping into Sarah's apartment, your eye is immediately drawn around the room, resting on carefully arranged collections of found objects and curiosities, colorfully patterned textiles, and a collection of paintings culled from the local flea market.
With an aptitude for sourcing just the right pieces to ground her collection of treasures and an eye for arranging them just so, Sarah manages to strike the ever-elusive balance of collected but not cluttered, cozy but not stuffy. The real secret to her space, however, is that it is infused with her personality: warm, welcoming and interesting.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: An eclectic representation of the natural world, with fun punches of color and texture. Animal & mineral meets sensual & cozy.
Inspiration: With the animal pelts, my feather and candle collection, crystals, books, and art, I surround myself with objects that inspire me to focus on living a rich, multi-faceted life. I like to create experiences for myself and my guests — there is always a fragrant candle lit and some sweet jams playing, as well as yummy snacks and fun conversation.
Favorite Element: Of course, the refuge of my bed nook, which is one of my favorite places on Earth. "The nook" is a bubble of peace and happiness.
During my semi-recent redo I decided to change the color of the nook from bubble gum pink to dark teal. It was one of the best decisions. I'm not sure what possessed me to paint it bright pink in the first place. It was a bit like sleeping in a tank of Pepto Bismol. Also, I love the cozy size of my studio… you're never too far from a cup of tea or the bathroom, yet it still feels spacious and light-filled.
Biggest Challenge: I love surrounding myself with beautiful things, so I'd have to say, staying away from clutter. I'm like a crow, always swooping in on sparkly things and bringing them home.
What Friends Say: I hear a few things over and over: "Never, ever let go of this place!" and "Can I get into the nook?"
Biggest Embarrassment: The ratio of junk drawers to the amount of living space is pretty of out of balance.
Proudest DIY: My handmade ceramics sprinkled here and there throughout the apartment. I'm not sure if I have started designing my art to look good in my space or if it's just coincidence.
Biggest Indulgence: My candle collection, which includes some embarrassingly expensive ones. What can I say — a cheap candle smells, hmm, cheap! My favorite line is by a 400 year old company called Cire Trudon. Their candles are hauntingly nostalgic and smell like mysterious places. Stimulating the olfactory system can really create relaxation and mystery! I don't have a car, so I feel excused to purchase really nice candles.
Best Advice: Revamp when the urge hits. When circumstances change in your life and you need a feeling of freshness and renewal, a great way to commemorate is to redecorate!
Dream Sources: The Alameda Flea Market, Hudson Grace on Sacramento Street, One Kings Lane, West Elm, and Reliquary in Hayes Valley.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Kitchen: Benjamin Moore, Iron Mountain
- Living Room: Benjamin Moore, Ballet White
- Bed nook: Benjamin Moore, Mallard Green
- Bathroom: Benjamin Moore, Senora Gray
- Light Fixture: Serena and Lily
- Runner: West Elm
- Print: Erica Tanov, Larkspur
- Mirror: Urban Outfitters
- Deer head: Swallowtail, SF (now closed)
- Couch and pink chair: Room & Board
- Blanket on back of couch: Reliquary, SF
- Bar cart: vintage
- Rug: West Elm
- White Cowhide: Green Couch, SF
- Coffee Table: CB2
- Dresser/dresser pulls: hand-me-down, West Elm
- Lamps: West Elm and Past Perfect, SF
- Stag Head: Restoration Hardware
- Pillows: Krimsa, West Elm
- Crystals and bird skin on wall: Paxton Gate, SF
- Flowers: Natalie Bowen Designs
- Table: Ikea
- Chairs: Room & Board
- Shelves: Ikea
- Ceramic cheese plates on wall: Sarah Becker for inquiries
- Golden Cheese: Sarah Becker
- Rug: Cost Plus World Market
- Bed Linens: Restoration Hardware
- Light Fixture: Rejuvenation
- Headboard: custom made
- Art: Etsy, Alameda Flea
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!