I'm a huge fan of huge graphic treatments. And as far as patriotism is concerned, more is more. Whether it's your native country or just a flag from a land you love, get an instant bohemian world traveler vibe at home by working in an oversized flag on the wall.
It doesn't have to be a country, either. A state flag or naval flag works just as well. Or maybe you're into something historic. The point is, displaying flags as oversized tapestries has a way of instantly transforming a room. Just picture any one of these spaces without their flag flying high.
Try it behind the sofa or above the bed like a pseudo-headboard. And if anyone stateside wants to play by the rules, here's a quick course on American flag display ettiquette.
1. A framed flag in this Rose Bay, Australia, bedroom from Thomas Hamel
2. Hey Wanderer's living room with a black and white flag tapestry
3. A Union Jack flag in Jeanette's eclectic Virginia home
4. The flag in a Minneapolis loft apartment from Carly and Emily Boettcher
5. HGTV Design Star Emily Henderson's modified Swiss flag
6. A flea-market flag hung from clothespins in the industrial Brooklyn studio of Artist Sarah Reynolds on Houzz
7. The flag as a backdrop to the entertainment center in James and Jamie's den on The Cavender Diary (there's also a framed Texan flag, too)
8. Naval flags in K & R's seaside retreat in South Africa
9. Project Runway winner Gretchen Jones hangs a flag behind the bed in her Brooklyn studio apartment on Houzz.
10. The American flag draped down a hallway in an interior by Rachel Halvorson.