We love a good lap pool. They take up a fraction of the space of a traditional pool, and their elongated shape is so elegant and modern. There's room to exercise, to splash around and have a drink on a hot day (because isn't that the whole reason to have a pool?), and you can still have a backyard.
While an ideal size for swimming laps is 6 feet in width by 60-75 feet in length, you can still fit a pool that accommodates exercise in as little as 30 feet. And, of course, if splashing and drinking is your main objective, any size will do.
1. A lap pool fits nicely into the small backyard of this remodeled bungalow in Australia. From Dwell
2. A lap pool in the couryard of an old mill turned house in France, via Zimbio.
3. Cynthia's Rowley's pool at her Manhattan townhome. Elle Decor via Mimi + Meg.
4. Bestor Architecture
8. Residential Architect
9. A lap pool wraps around a narrow backyard in this project by Eckersley Garden Architecture.
10. A lap pool in the backyard of a contemporary townhouse in San Francisco, via Houzz.
Originally posted May 7, 2012