Name: Alex Fulton
Location: Sumner Beach — Christchurch, New Zealand
Size: 180 square meters
Years Lived In: 5 years this Christmas.
A few weeks back I practically spit my drink all over myself trying to get shouts of exclamation out when stumbled upon this home in New Zealand. Although I would have loved to have flown there to photograph it myself, we called in the big guns (aka Li'l Magoolie). This home is so packed with color, you might actually need to sit down. No really... pull up a chair, because this home is about to melt your brain with all its awesomeness. Seriously. Consider it melted.
Meet Alex Fulton of the aptly named Alex Fulton Design. She's an interior and product design blogger (whose site you can find right here), that knows her stuff and hasn't met a paint chip she doesn't like. Many folks toy around with color, there's a pop here or there, but in this house, the whole place will make you drool with envy. It's bold, it's beautiful and even if you'd never implement it in your own house, it's certainly enjoyable within these walls. And the bathroom — just wait until you see the bathroom!
Much of the work has been done themselves, check out the before photo above. Those are actual vines hanging between the rafters. So this transformation isn't just about color, it's about everything beneath it as well. Their kitchen is still a work in progress and will hopefully be a fun Before & After feature here later on this year. Rest assured however that there's more than enough eye candy to keep you busy as you flip from pink bedrooms to blue living rooms to some of the most creative ways to make small spaces feel bigger we've ever seen. Ready to take the tour?
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Japanese/Scando/Indian fusion
Inspiration: Comes from colours, patterns and collections of anything!
Favorite Element: The combination of old and new.
Biggest Challenge: Lack of storage and space. I have overcome both with clever storage and a touch of illusion.
What Friends Say: Anyone that does not know me is usually speechless and ones that do know me kinda expect nothing less!
Biggest Embarrassment: One functional issue is having the bathroom opposite the front door. I'm not a fan of shutting doors so you get the picture. Our poor courier man - he's copped an eye-full more times than is necessary!
Proudest DIY: Graffiti stencil art at the back of the oven. Pink and yellow paint with multi-coloured hibiscus flowers. I have a very tolerant husband.
Biggest Indulgence: Customised stair carpet. More essential than indulgence I think you will agree. I also love collections. Current ones include: Russian dolls, Dala horses, West-german vases, Ganesh statues, miniature anythings.
Best Advice: Fill your home with things that make smile.
Dream Sources: Kartell, Magis, Marimekko, Eames
Resources of Note:
- • Wall Colour: Resene Roadster
• Chairs: covered in Designers Guild and No Chintz
• Flower Print: design my me
• Bedside Tables: Kartell
• Duvet Cover: Household Linens
• Catherine David Cross Light
• Pillow: in Marimekko fabric
- • Wallpaper in Sandberg 'Jolly' Pink
• Duvet cover from IKEA
MID-BLUE LIVING ROOM
- • Walls in Dulux Opua (colours of New Zealand range)
• Tiki Print: Dick Frizzell
• Young People Tea-Towel: framed from Third Draw Down
• Perno Orange Coffee Table: Cameron Foggo
• Sofa: covered in Arte Tropical fabric
• Floor Rug: IKEA
• Lampshade: covered in fabric
NAVY LIVING ROOM
- • Colour: Resene Cod Grey
• 'Me Too' Dogs: Magis
• Swedese Tree: Simon James Design
• Blue Chesterfield: secondhand
• Pillows: Madder & Rouge
• Floor Cushions: Country Road
• Art: from Bali and India
• Re-Upholstered Chair: IKEA fabric
• Maori Print: Gordon Walters
- • Wallpaper: Tom Dixon from Habitat
• RAR rocker: Eames
• Blow-up Moose Head: From a souvenir store
• Laptop Case: Jonathan Adler
• Wooden lampshade from Habitat
• Squabs covered in Fabric: Madder and Rouge
• Roman Blinds: Unique fabric Denim
- • Ceiling Colour: Resene Condor
• Grey Pool Tiles with orange and green accents
• Pink Toilet Paper: Design Denmark
• Orange and Green Shower Heads: Agape
• Green Stool: Tolix
• Bathmat: Missoni
- • Wall Paint: Resene Alabaster
• Wooden Hallway Table: Freshwood Furniture
• Hat stand: Magis
• Deer Heads: painted in various Dulux colours
• Circle Art: by good friend Peata Larkin
• Pink Bird Print: Penny Stotter
• Electrical Wire Bowls: from South Africa
• Leather Purple Horse: from Argentina
• Flocked bunny: from Melbourne, Australia
• Wall Hanging: Marimekko
• Custom Stair Carpet: CRONZ
• Light Shade On Stairs: David Trubridge
Images: Maddie of Li'l Magoolie
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.