If you love looking at pictures of interiors like we do, you'll probably see a few of the same pieces crop up over and over, design classics like the Eames lounge or Harry Bertoia's wire chairs. But one of the most ubiquitous pieces has a humbler pedigree (and a much lower price point). It's the IKEA Expedit, and it's taking the world of storage by storm.
The genius of the Expedit is in its simplicity — the deep square shelves make it suitable for storing practically anything, and the extra thickness of the outside frame gives the unit a pleasingly solid appearance that belies its low price tag.
The simple design, and the fact that the shelving units come in a huge variety of sizes — 2x2, 2x4, 4x4, 5x5 — make the Expedit adaptable to many different kinds of spaces, and almost infinitely hackable. Below are some of our favorite Expedit spottings from our Apartment Therapy house tours, and from all over the web.
From Apartment Therapy:
1. From Jon and Tyke's California cabin.
2. From Shane and Andrew's California Home.
3. Expedit + milk crates = quirky, budget storage solution, as seen in Christi's creative and crafty Austin apartment.
4. An Expedit makes a perfect room divider in deRaismes' tiny, beautifully textured studio apartment.
5. A white Expedit melds nicely with the black and white palette in Stefanie and Taylor's Washington, DC digs.
6. Expedits provide storage for a home office in Alexis and Josh's San Francisco apartment.
7. Sleek storage in Irene's home office.
8. In the Midcentury mix at Katherine and Jem's Chicago Apartment.
9. As a TV stand in Lauren and Kevin's Chicago apartment.
10. An Expedit helps to fill a large wall in Nick and Rachel's Brooklyn loft.