Name: Erin Tavin, Nathan Stein, and Charlie the cat
Location: Echo Park, Los Angeles
Size: 320 square feet
Years lived in: 24 years (Nathan), 9 years (Erin); Owned
A few months ago, we took a peek inside the eclectic, bohemian Los Angeles home of Erin and Nathan. If you loved their colorful home, their dreamy backyard yurt, which doubles as an office, will definitely make you swoon!
Inspired by the yurts they stayed in on their travels to Orr Hot Springs in Ukiah and Treebones in Big Sur, Erin and Nathan decided to bring the cozy feel of a yurt to their very own backyard. Purchased from Pacific Yurts in Oregon and measuring 320 square feet, their yurt nestles cozily into the back corner of their large yard.
Erin fondly remembers calling upon a team of friends to help raise the roof, barn raising style. The yurt is made of Douglas fir throughout, coupled with a plexiglass dome ceiling. The couple also added on two porches with French doors that open onto a secluded back deck. To make the yurt a comfortable place to work year-round, an air-conditioning/heating unit was also added.
Officially, Erin uses the yurt as her office when she is not at her clothing shop, Tavin. But the couple also loves to lay back and read in the tranquil space and stare up at the stars with their curious cat, Charlie, keeping them company.
Resources of Note:
- Yurt: Pacific Yurts
- Rug: Nomad Style
- Blanket: Nomad Style
- Wooden cabinet and desk: designed by Jan Munroe
- Floor: recycled douglas fur sourced locally
- Porch: Indonesian redwood with red wood railing built by Nathan
- Dreamcatcher: Pottery Tree
- Table: made by Peter Shire with a cabrera marble tabletop
- Iron reclining chairs: from a shop on La Brea Ave
- Umbrellas: Cost Plus
- Various plants: Echo Park Gardens
- Kilm pillows: Nomad Style
- Various pottery and vases: flea markets
- Fountain: designed and installed by local artist, Ovid Pope
- Outdoor tub: salvage yard in Los Angeles
Thanks, Erin and Nathan!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Bridget Pizzo)