Not all furniture we find is attractive. It might be picked up from an online listing or passed on from relatives. Over the years we've spent a great deal of time focusing on these shabby pieces in efforts to make them chic once again. Check out these 30 tips, tricks and ideas for your next furniture flip!
Some of our favorite tricks of the trade are listed below along with some great questions that we've addressed over the years:
RESTORATION HOW TO IDEAS
• How To: Restore A Fiberglass Shell Chair
• How To Cover Up Dings in Wooden Furniture
• Glue it Right: The Secret to Super Strong Wood Glue
• Use Coffee Grinds To Cover Furniture Scratches
• Touch-Up Wood Markers by Sharpie
• How To Get Mouse Pee Out Of Particle Board
• Fresh Start: DIY Dressers & Side Tables
• 10 Ways to Customize Ikea Furniture
• How To: Restore Thrift Store Furniture
• Good Questions: How To "Firm Up" a Couch?
• Good Questions: Sofa Button Repair Tips?
• How Do I Repair a Tear in My Leather Sofa?
• Good Questions: Do Leather Repair Kits Work?
• Good Questions: How To Remove Mold From Wood Furniture?
• Good Questions: How To Repair Broken Dresser Handle?
• Good Questions: Could I Reupholster an Eames Lounge, Too?
• Good Questions: Restore Grandma's Chair or Let It Go?
• Good Questions: Auto Body Paint Job for Furniture?
• Good Questions: How to Safely Refinish an Enamel Topped Table?
BEFORE & AFTER FURNITURE INSPIRATION
• Before & After: The Pretty Painted Sofa Makeover
• Repair & Refresh: Fixing Up a Washstand
• Before & After: Vintage Metal Furniture Rescued
• Before & After: Painted Upholstery Chair Makeover
• From Start to Finish: Accent Chair Makeover in a Weekend
• Before & After: Denese's Sunny Table Makeover
• Before & After: My Dramatic Table Overhaul
• Blissful Blue Magic Makeovers From Style North
• Before & Afters by Eddie Ross
• Before & After: Mid-Century Dresser Repainted
• Before & After: Chalkboard Table
- Re-edited from a post originally published June 6, 2011 - DF