Fireplaces, blankets, warm drinks... There's no doubt fall is the beginning of the home-y season. But before you begin to transition to spending more time indoors—especially if you're hosting guests during the holidays—get your house super ready for increased habitation with this ultimate cleaning checklist.
In the Kitchen & Bathroom
- Clean your kitchen grout.
- Clean your bathroom grout.
- Clean your refrigerator coils, if applicable.
- Clean under your refrigerator.
- Clean the inside of your dishwasher.
- Clean and condition the wood of your bathroom and kitchen cabinets.
- Clean your oven.
- Wash and disinfect all the garbage cans.
- Seal and/or polish granite countertops.
In the Bedroom (and Closet)
- Refresh bedding that isn't regularly washed (comforters, pillows, etc.).
- Vacuum and flip mattresses.
- Put cold-weather linens on the beds.
- Switch out seasonal clothes.
In the Living Areas
- Vacuum upholstered furniture.
- Vacuum under your upholstered furniture cushions.
- Polish your wood furniture.
- Wash artificial plants.
- Dust living plants' leaves.
- Wipe down your screens (TV, computer, etc.).
- Clean all keyboards and remote controls.
All Around the House
- Wash your walls.
- Wash your windows, window sills, and all the window groves.
- Clean your washer and dryer.
- Clean your doorknobs, doors, and lightswitch plates.
- Vacuum under all beds, couches, and other furniture.
- Dust the tops of doors and door frames.
- Spot clean carpets and rugs.
- Clean floors underneath area rugs.
- Wash curtains or have them cleaned.
- Remove and rinse your window screens.
- Wash your washable vacuum cleaner filters.
- Clean your baseboards.
Tackle Some Seasonal Maintenance
- Change your HVAC air filter.
- Replace your fire alarm batteries.
- Condition your leather furniture.
- Dust your ceiling fans and set them to turn so air circulates upward.
- Sweep the chimney and/or have it checked.
- Clean out rain gutters.
- Check weather stripping and replace as necessary.