Name: Brian & Kerry Grabowski
Location: Jamaica Plain — Boston, Massachusetts
Size: 800 square feet
Years lived in: 4.5 — owned
Entering Brian & Kerry's loft, the first thing you see is the courtyard. It's hard to miss an entire wall of windows that reaches up to the 18-foot ceilings. "In the winter, it's like living in a snow globe," Brian reminisces, "...when it actually snows." Which is not the case on the day I visit, another unusually warm Saturday in New England. The effect, however, is still impressive. What the loft lacks in square footage, it makes up for in light.
Brian & Kerry were the first to move into the building, shortly after the conversion from an old brewery into condos. Although the space was quite basic, almost sterile, they fell in love with it instantly and put in an offer that day. 4 years later, the renovation is complete and the pair couldn't be happier.
With so much glass, industrial elements, and their modern aesthetic, the space could have easily felt cold and unwelcoming, but it doesn't. If it ever snows, I'll take a mug of cocoa and a front row seat to the snow globe any time they'll have me.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Minimal industrial modern
Inspiration: Clean lines
Favorite Element: Tall ceilings
Biggest Challenge: Glass wall
What Friends Say: You've utilized making a small space feel so spacious
Biggest Embarrassment: Our bitchy cat
Proudest DIY: Island countertop
Biggest Indulgence: Antique Venetian glass bowl
Best Advice: Embrace your space
Dream Sources: Marmol Radziner furniture, Lumens.com, Method homes, Nood design, Wetstyle, Bartel
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Benjamin Moore: Whale Grey, Smoked Oyster, Silhouette
- • Closet: Ikea
• Custom iron and glass chandelier
- • Couch: Ikea
• Art: Zane Turner
• Wallpaper: Graham & Brown
- • Table and chairs: CB2
• Antique Venetian glass bowl
• Lighting: Z Gallerie
• Shelving: West Elm
- • Faucet and sink: Kohler
• Appliances: energy efficient GE
• Hand dyed butcher block island
- • Floors: Cherry
• Bed: West Elm
• Hand painted rails
• Modular open shelving closet system
- • Fixtures: Kohler and Toto
- • Buffed and sealed concrete floors
• Ceiling fans: DWR
• Paint and wallpaper by Colortheoryboston
• Ecletic art (some by Brian!)
Thanks, Brian & Kerry!
Images: Tara Bellucci
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.