Name: Jaclyn Johnson
Occupation: Founder of (NO SUBJECT) / Creator of Create + Cultivate / Dabbler at Frankieandalbert.com
Location: Silver Lake; Los Angeles, California
Size: 2 bedroom / 1 bathroom house
Years lived in: Just over a year; Rent
Jaclyn's home is warm, fun and welcoming from the moment you step through the gate into the outdoor dining space. This outdoor space is perfect to be enjoy on any given evening in Los Angeles, and her home is roomy and full of personality. Her attention to kitsch and detail oozes positivity out of every nook and cranny.
From the artwork to her layers upon layers of textures, colors and mementos, there is plenty to look at in Jaclyn's house. When I asked her what the most significant thing in her home was, she said it was her grandmother's marble chest: "Beyond it being beautiful, it reminds me of her everyday." Designing a space certainly comes easy to Jaclyn, and she really knows how to create something that is expressive and genuine. She believes that the most essential part of designing a home is "warmth, creating that feeling of comfort as soon as you walk in."
Los Angeles and its lifestyle play a huge factor into her personal design aesthetic. "I love Los Angeles and am always inspired by the incredible vintage, design and greenery," she says. "I particularly love the 'desert' vibe of Los Angeles, lots of earth tones mixed with pops of greens and pinks, succulents and Native American-inspired prints and goods. It’s something that has definitely found its way into my personal style."
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic, kitschy and ever evolving. I can err on the side of ultra feminine, but I love integrating masculine elements as well. I try to elegantly combine modern and vintage vibes.
Inspiration: I wanted my home to feel like a reflection of my life, a collection of objects that defined specific moments and eras over time.
Favorite Element: My coffee table.
Biggest Challenge: Size of the rooms. I had always had larger bedrooms previously so it allowed for more creativity in terms of layout and design. It was interesting trying to fit together the pieces I already had into two rooms.
What Friends Say: I’ve had a few friends joke that it’s a live Pinterest board. My friend Matt gave me the best compliment, though. He said, "I think when girls are 8 years old, this is the house they dream about having when they grow up." I’ll take it.
Proudest DIY: The garden! It’s my boyfriend and I’s pride and joy. Currently we have a bunch of herbs from basil to cilantro and a little swiss chard and kale as well. I wouldn’t say I have a green thumb per se, but I am getting there!
Biggest Indulgence: It’s a tie between my bed from Design Within Reach and the table outside from Restoration Hardware, but I figure eating and sleeping on things I love are worth the splurge.
Best Advice: Don’t overthink it. I think over planning a room or area can hinder the natural creative process. I buy things I like and find the right place for them after (not all pieces, but some of my favorites). I think rooms—and homes for that matter—grow with you over time and can shift and change and that’s okay. It can be really beautiful.
Dream Sources: Kelly Wearstler, Frankie and Albert, Jonathan Adler, Design Within Reach, ABC Home, Food 52, Kaufmann Mercantile, Etsy, One Kings Lane, Blu Dot, Hunter’s Alley, Fab, Furbish and a Parisian Flea Market.
Resources of Note:
- Coffee table/ urban outfitters
- Couch / Custom Z Gallerie
- Dresser / Blue Print Furniture
- Turquoise bench/ CB2
- Side Tables / Target
- Mirror / vintage
- Black Bull/ Vincon
- Gallery Wall / Society 6
- Fan/ Vintage (spray painted gold)
- White spiked container/ Jonathan Adler
- Table and benches/ cb2
- Bar cart / target
- Painting /antique (ebay)
- Chairs/ living room silverlake
- Cactus / Sunset Nursery
- Marble stand/ vintage
- Glass cake stand / vintage
- Girl with bowl on her hand / Jonathon Adler
- Bed / design within reach
- Sheets / Muji
- Plus Blanket/ pia wallen
- Side Table / Vintage
- Glass table / Vintage
- Jewelry box / West elm
- Painting /antique (etsy)
- Rug/ west elm
- Gold Bull/ Urban Outfitters
- Green Leaves paintings / David Kaul ArtDesignSurface.com
- Couch / custom west elm
- Rug/ World Market
- Marble chest / vintage my grandmother’s
- Desk /west elm
- Hashtag sign / scott coppersmith designs
- Sidetable / blueprint furniture
- Chair / one kings lane
- Pillows / one kings lane
- Gold Frames/ west elm
- Astrology Images / prismatic print shop
- Record player stand / vintage from sunset bazaar
- Typography picture/ ikea
- Striped Bag/ Marimekko
- Paperclip / Vintage
- Ampersand / Vincon Barcelona
- GhettoBlaster / vintage
- Long Table / restoration hardware
- Red Chairs/ target
- Side Table with pineapples /Amazon
- Punch Bowl / Vintage
- Ice buckets and Stand / Target
- Blue chairs / vintage
- Woven chairs / ikea
- White wire Tables /vintage
- Pots / potted atwater
- White stand / cb2
- Black Wire Stand / Urban Outfitters
- frame/ ikea
- soap dish / zara home
- rug / urban outfitters
- hallway mirror / ikea
(Photography: Bethany Nauert)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!