Name: James and Shanna
Location: Durham, NC
Size: 1,100 square feet
Years lived in: Renting less than one year
James is a production manager for Merge Records (you may know some of their artists - She & Him, Arcade Fire and Caribou, to name a few) and Cleveland Browns enthusiast. Shanna is the Director of Marketing for InMotionNow, a work management solutions company for creatives. Together, they have married their eclectic taste in their renovated historic bungalow close to the campus of Duke University.
With the right amount of space for themselves and their dog, Bailey, their rental has quickly become a quirky, charming home. See how James and Shanna repurposed their belongings from their past home to this one in their House Call.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Clean lines, warm colors, and a balance of minimalism and homeyness.
Inspiration: Teak credenzas and thrift shop paintings. We're lucky to live in a region where we can take advantage of the readily available quality used furniture.
Favorite Element: The great light! Now we can keep plants alive.
Biggest Challenge: Going from a more open floor plan to smaller rooms with awkwardly placed nooks and trying to get all of our furniture to fit.
What Friends Say: "What was wrong with the last place??"
Biggest Embarrassment: All the dog hair.
Proudest DIY: The dining room bench that James made out of reclaimed lumber. Simple, yet effective!
Biggest Indulgence: The house itself – we wanted something recently renovated (while still maintaining the original character) in a great location and it is worth every penny.
Best Advice: Don't be afraid to get rid of something if it's not working. We're frequently reselling or donating pieces that didn't quite work or needed to go to make room for new things. It helps keeps things fresh and uncluttered.
Dream Sources: The Rose Bowl flea market in Pasadena, CA, Father and Son in Raleigh, NC, Beggars and Choosers in Pittsboro, NC.
• Calendar: Stendig
• Horse head lamp: thrifted
• Yellow magazine rack: Etsy
• Lockers: Craigslist
• Superchunk print: Merge Records
• Yellow chair: Raleigh Flea Market
• Mirror: inherited from previous tenants
- Credenza: Father & Son in Raleigh
- Wood block painting: Damien Jurado
- Knock-off Eames chair: gift
- Destroyer "Kaputt" print: Merge Records
- Painting of two ladies: thrifted
- Candles on mantle: The Dank Crystal (Etsy)
- Sofa - West Elm Peggy sofa
- Throw pillows: Target
- Barcelona chair: Craigslist
- Pendleton blanket: won in Apartment Therapy giveaway!
- Bar cart: IKEA
- Pendant light: IKEA
- Rug: West Elm
- Lane coffee table: Craigslist
• table: inherited from previous tenants • bench: DIY by James w/ materials from Durham Reuse Warehouse • goat painting: Raleigh flea market • greenhouse: IKEA • Danish teapot: Etsy
• bed: IKEA
• abstract painting: DIY by James
• dressers: Craigslist
• filing cabinet: thrifted
• nightstand: CB2
• lamps: Land of Nod
• rug: IKEA
• flower painting: thrifted
• Academy Of Spectacle Equestre poster: Versailles
• yellow chair: thrifted
- Arnold print: "Pumping Iron" documentary photo book, gifted
- vintage clock: Durham yard sale
- Apples in Stereo print: gifted to Shanna
- Mika Miko print: merch booth at their final show in Los Angeles
• desk: Merge Records office
• desk chair: thrifted
• cabinet: IKEA
• bookcase: Home Depot
• easel: thrifted
• art: mostly made by James and friends
• dog art: various, mostly thrifted
• credenza: Craigslist
• sofa: IKEA
• knock-off Eames chair: gift
• 1968 Cleveland Browns poster: eBay
• plaid blanket: James' parents' house
• sofa table: DIY by James w/materials from Durham Reuse Warehouse & Etsy
• planters: IKEA
• coffee table: DIY by James w/materials from Durham Reuse Warehouse & eBay
• terrarium: Urban Outfitters
• Lane end tables: Craigslist
• brown ceramic lamp: Beggars & Choosers
• blue ceramic lamp: thrifted
• rug: Wal-mart
• shower curtain: Urban Outfitters
• cart: IKEA
• heart surgeon: Rose Bowl flea market
• Arcade Fire print: Merge Records
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!