Name: Jen Ramos
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Size: 2,800 square feet
Years lived in: 8 months
At the end of last year, Jen started the process of remodeling her kitchen. She posted a few inspirational photos and a photo of her kitchen on her design blog, Made By Girl. I was so excited to see the transformation that I kept checking in and waiting to see the final result of her new kitchen. Jen gave me a peek at the rest of her house and I couldn't resist a full house tour.
I am in love with Jen's home, and in particular, I'm very envious of her closet — she had shelves built just for her shoe collection! The closet also has a chandelier and a separate vanity with a large mirror. The entire space is very simple and elegant, but the added bursts of color make it very fun and youthful.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I don't think I have a specific style...or do I? Usually If I see something I like, I buy it.
Inspiration: One of my inspirations came from the home of J Crew's Jenna Lyons. Her NY townhouse and her personal style are amazing. I was very much inspired by her home's dark floors, white walls, chandeliers, zebra hide rugs and architectural features. That was one thing my townhouse was missing, that gorgeous old style crown molding. However, being that my home is in Nevada I wasn't surprised that particular design aspect would be missing. Sure, I can add it, but it's not the same.
Favorite Element: The open floor plan on the main floor. We can see all the way through from one end of the home to the other.
Biggest Challenge: The biggest challenge has been making sure everything flows. I find so many things I like and then realize that it doesn't fit in with everything else that's going on. I have to somehow keep the continuity but make each room look distinct in it's own way.
What Friends Say: They always seem to mention how high the ceilings are and how open the space feels. They also love the view from the 3rd floor where you can see the entire Las Vegas Strip, especially at night!
Biggest Embarrassment: The fact that we still have stock cabinetry, though we had the kitchen cabinets re-painted so they don't look so standard. Standard cabinets are the worst, they look and feel ugly. For now we'll keep them until we can afford to have the kitchen of our dreams. Oh yeah, and the bare wall across from my dining table. There's a huge painting and nothing underneath it yet. We're hoping to build a console table for that wall to add some interest!
Proudest DIY: The book shelving in the home office area. My guy built it and it's such an added benefit to the space.
Biggest Indulgence: Probably my biggest indulgence was changing out all the standard lighting that came with the home. We added interesting looking pendants and sconces that seem to fit the home a lot better. We also switched out all the recessed bulbs and added bulbs that gave more of a spotlight feel, it really made a significant difference.
Best Advice: From my mom when she said, "Don't worry, your home will all come together soon, little by little. Don't rush it."
Dream Source: One Kings Lane
Resources of Note:
- Sub-Zero (48") Refrigerator: Craigslist find
- GE Profile Dishwasher
- GE Profile 5-burner Countertop Range
- GE Profile Microwave and Convection Oven Stack
- Electrolux Beverage Center
- Drawer Pulls and Knobs: Home Depot
- Lucite Ghost Stools: eBay
- Louis Style Chairs: eBay
- 108" Mango Wood Dining Table: Crate&Barrel
- White Barcelona Lounge: Modani Furniture
- Walton Sectional in Basket Weave Twill: West Elm
- Espresso Chunky Coffee Table: West Elm
- Besta Burs TV Console: IKEA
- Black Entryway Console: Target
- Parsons Side Tables (master nightstands): West Elm
- Parsons Office Desks: West Elm
- Mirrored Nightstands (guest room): Target
- Re-upholstered Wing Back Chair (guest room): Pier 1 Imports
- White Honeycomb Vase: West Elm
- Hammered Vase (kitchen): HomeGoods
- Brass Horsehead Equestrian Hooks: Horse Tack Company
- Harry Allen Piggy Bank: Areaware
- Atoll Antiqued Mirror: Ballard Designs
RUGS & CARPET
- All Cowhides: eBay
- Antico Vintage Distressed Plank Eco-friendly Engineered Flooring: Provenza Flooring
TILES & STONE
- Reina 108" Drapes: Bed Bath & Beyond
- Black 108" Velvet Panels: Curtainworks
- Light Filtering Top/Bottom Honeycomb Shades: Blinds.com
- Frazee Cielo Blanco: Frazee Paint
- Thomas O'Brien Hicks Pendant Lamps (kitchen): Circa Lighting
- Glass Beaded Chandelier (dining area): Ballard Designs
- Hanging Yarn Pendant Light (foyer): DIY Projecy
- Studded Lamp (foyer): HomeGoods
- Philippe Starck Ghost Floor Lamp: Gift
- Dining Room Aboriginal Art by Janet Golder Kngwarreye
- Staircase Landing Aboriginal Art by Jeannie Mills Pwerle
- Garage Entryway Artwork of Girl by Vincenzo Rizzob
- All Other Paintings are Self-painted: Cocoa & Hearts
- Chrome and Glass Coffee Table: Long Beach Swap Meet
Images: Jen Ramos
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.