Name: Rob and Julie Maigret
Location: Los Feliz — Los Angeles, California
Size: 3000 square feet
Years lived in: 3 — Own
Interior designer Julie Maigret and her husband Rob, live in their dream house right at the foothills of Griffith Park. Fashioning a current spin on Mid Century Modern influenced design, they have created a warm and inviting space to dwell in.
Many thanks to our mutual friend Lori Fradella, who has in the past sold and helped source pieces for Julie and her clients, for connecting us for this house tour. Julie is no stranger to design and understanding spacial planning. She explains that the most essential part of designing your home is "that you create a home that truly represents you...or the person you aspire to be."
With 3,000 square feet of room to play in, you can imagine all the different ways the design of this home could have gone. Julie and Rob's main goal was to stay true to the original era and the architectural history. They brought in a handful of vintage throwbacks, balancing them with contemporary pieces from around LA. Some of the most amazing elements in the home were the artwork. "When we first moved in, we were intimidated by all the blank wall space. The artwork represents a lot of research, collaboration and compromise; and a number of paintings by Rob's dad." Noting Slim Aarons as a major dream resource, you can see how Julie wanted to preserve the Mid Century Architectural appeal of her home.
This home and its roots in old Hollywood's Los Feliz district boasts a charming spacious floor plan and lovely views of the hills. The lighting and the breezy airy feeling really lend to the calming Southern California vibe. "Los Angeles style is all about coming home to a peaceful, comfortable place that will make you forget that you have just been sitting in traffic for 2 hours."
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: A clean, comfortable, current twist on mid century modern
Inspiration: Slim Aarons
Favorite Element: The spaciousness & peacefulness of the house. No small feat in Los Angeles!
Biggest Challenge: Figuring out how to make a space with white walls & white floors comfortable instead of cold
What Friends Say: "You should design my house (for free)."
Proudest DIY: Instead of hiring a landscape designer, I ended up designing our outdoor spaces with Annette Gutierrez from Pot-ted. I could not have wished for better results. Our succulent wall has taken on a life of its own, having been reproduced all over the country.
Biggest Indulgence: Our dining room furniture, which is thankfully timeless, and well worth the splurge.
Best Advice: Don't sacrifice comfort for style. You can have both if you look hard enough.
Dream Sources: Mid Century LA; Okay Store on Third Street; Ebay, Jonathan Adler; Architectural Pottery; Table Art on Melrose; The Rug Company; Paul Smith fabrics; Bon Vivant in Palm Springs; Trina Turk Residential in Palm Springs; our contractor, James Bond III
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Dunn Edwards- Swiss Coffee
- • Vintage lamp
• Photography by Scott Rhea
• Eames LCW Chair
- • Flor carpet tiles- www.flor.com
•Jonathan Adler pillows- www.jonathanadler.com
• Danish vintage sofa & chair from Mid Century LA- www.midcenturyla.com
• Louis Chair by Vioski- www.vioski.com
• Jonathan Adler pillows
• "Hi"- artwork by Adam Cohen
- • Photography- by Slim Aarons
• Silver branch candelabra - West Elm
• Wood sculpture- Ebay
- • Nelson Ball Lamp- Modernica: www.modernica.net
• Saarinen table & chairs
• Jonathan Adler pottery
- • Laurel Lamp from Ebay
• Vintage Brass sculpture from Bon Vivant in Palm Springs: www.gmcb.com/shop
• Photograph by William Lovelace
- • Flor carpet tiles
• Vintage Danish credenza- Mid Century LA
• Lamp & sculptures- Ebay
• Pop Art mirror- yard sale
• Dog found running through traffic in downtown Los Angeles
• Vintage chair- Mid Century LA
• Pottery Barn mirror
• Vintage table - Tini on Fairfax: www.thisisnotikea.com
• Vintage table from a Palm Springs consignment store
• Star sculpture from Okay Store: www.okstore.la
- • Vintage poster by Rene Gruau
• Planter from Architectural Pottery: www.architecturalpottery.com
• Vases from Jonathan Adler
• Eiffel Tower Side Chairs from Modernica
- • Photography by Scott Rhea
• Bookcase of our own design
• Artwork by Kozyndan: www.kozyndan.com
• Ottoman & pillow in Paul Smith fabric designed by Julie Maigret
GUEST ROOM 1
- • Vintage poster by Rene Gruau
• Cross pillow & chandelier by Jonathan Adler
• Painting by Robert Maigret, Sr.
• Velvet Headboard & Pillows designed by Julie Maigret
GUEST ROOM 2
- • Bed in Paul Smith fabric designed by Julie Maigret
- • Chaise designed by Julie Maigret
• Table from Pot-ted: www.pottedstore.com
GUEST BATHROOM (YELLOW MOTIF)
- • Print by Audrey Kawasaki: www.audrey-kawasaki.com
• Paintings by Robert Maigret, Sr.
- • Artwork by Simmons & Burke: www.simmonsandburke.com
• Planters from Architectural Pottery & Pot-ted
- • Photography by Slim Aarons
Thanks, Julie and Rob!
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.