Downtown — Los Angeles, California
1,000 square feet
Years lived in:
Michael's home is not just another run-of the mill downtown space. While It is common to find concrete floors and industrial modern style furnishings in lofts, Michael has balanced out his space by incorporating color, built-ins, and unexpected furniture choices. I feel like visitors could easily forget that they are in a loft because the overall vibe feels more like a comfortable house!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
About 9 years of loft living in Downtown Los Angeles
The floor to ceiling brick. I knew this was my home the moment I saw the brick.
There was very little shelf space when I bought the loft, which is where the built-ins came in.
What Friends Say:
Can't say for sure, but it's a constant place of gathering.
I hear the window shades are transparent at night …
Less DIY and more found-art, the tumbleweed wire sculpture I found on the side of the road - it's been with me for half a decade.
No question, the couch. An old girlfriend helped me design it — 7 feet, extra deep, goose down and royal blue velvet. I love it.
A glass dining table. You've got to be extra conscious of visible space in a 1-bedroom loft. The dining room table I ended up with hosts 10 and doesn't hog the space a bit.
Long standing coveter of all things Cisco Brothers. New found fan of Croft House on La Brea. And if I could bring anyone in to handle it all, I'd love to let Miguel and Sherry Nelson of Marvimon and Smog Shoppe have at it.
Resources of Note:
- Bosch Range and Microwave
- KitchenAid Fridge
- Bosch Washer/Dryer
- Scavolini Cabinetry
- John Boos Kitchen Island
- Toto Plumbing Fixtures
- Custom Couch from Sofa Co.
- Tufted Chairs from Craigslist
- Dining Room Table from Calligaris
- Eames Chairs
- Bedside Table from Blueprint
- Wire Ball from side of the road
- Typewriters from family
- Hardwood Floors
- Essenza Porcelain Tile
- Benjamin Moore China White
- Benjamin Moore Decorators White
- Benjamin Moore Graphite
- Benjamin Moore Chalkboard
Images: Evan Koester
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
- Pendants from Lamp Expo
- Table Lamp from Blueprint