Name: Sara, Blogger and Real Estate Consultant
Location: Dupont Circle, Washington D.C
Size: 718 square feet
Years lived in: 2 years; Owned
When you have a blog that focuses on how to achieve high fashion at a bargain, there is a good chance your home will reflect that same sensibility. Blogger Sara's home radiates world charm, luxury, and her keen ability to mix her taste in high-quality vintage pieces with great low-price steals from her favorite bargain shop, Home Goods, and D.C stores Good Wood and Miss Pixies.
A little over two years ago Sara found her home via a friend who was also in real estate. He had renovated his apartment with new moldings, flooring, track lighting, and carved-out nooks in the living room and bedrooms. After one visit Sara immediately knew she wanted a place just like it. The timing worked out perfectly, as her friend was looking to sell, and soon after Sara sold the condo she owned in Maryland and made the move to the District.
Her modern home in D.C is filled with colorful accents and original art, mixed prints and bold patterns. Rich pops of red, blue, orange and yellow play off white painted brick walls and black planked floors. Her Iranian heritage is folded into her aesthetic with the use of Iranian rugs gifted from family members. Her affinity for prints and patterns is evident in everything from her curtains (which she had custom made) to the pillows and poufs. Her home functions as her office, as she often works from home, but also as a place to entertain family and friends. "Having a dining area with plenty of seating was really important", she says. What's equally evident is Sara's ability to see design elements and furniture as having multiple functions. She converted what once was a vintage headboard into a black and white table stand for her foyer. To display her collection of shoes, she converted an old CD rack into a shoe rack. Antler décor from Home Goods transforms into a display stand for rings and necklaces. And heads up to anyone looking to get a piece of her style; Sara's looking to sell her couch very soon!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
MY Style/Inspiration: My style is a mix of rustic, modern, and vintage. I love mixing modern pieces with vintage pieces. There are two local stores that I go to often: Miss Pixies and Good Wood. I'm a big bargain shopper. You'll see me a lot at Home Goods and TJ Maxx.
Favorite Element: All the colors work well with one another. I really like to keep things clean and simple in my bedroom and bathroom. You'll see things are a bit more muted than the living room. Having a clean simple area that's relaxing is important.
Biggest Challenge: The built-in for the entertainment system. It limited how I arranged in this space, especially since I like to entertain. If it weren't for the entertainment center, I would have put two sofas facing each other. I wouldn't have put the entertainment system as the focal point.
What Friends Say: "Wow!" They can't believe I've done all this by myself. They also say, "Wow, it's so clean".
Biggest Embarrassment: After two years of living here I still haven't found a piece of artwork for that big white wall!
Proudest DIY: In my bedroom I have a jewelry and sunglasses display. I made that myself. I took a bulletin board from Home Goods and added wire and nails so I could display my collection.
Biggest Indulgence: My poufs from Gilt Group.
Best Advice: You can't rush the design or buying process. With the design process, when I found myself rushing I found myself returning things. I'm a firm believer in buying only what you love. If that means it takes a year or two years, wait it out and don't rush it. Definitely do your research.
Dream Sources: I really love Room and Board and Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. I also love Gilt Group; their home section is amazing.
Resources of Note:
• Mirror: Home Goods
• Converted Vintage Headboard used in foyer : Miss Pixies
• Foyer Rug: Home Goods
• Arm chair: Home Goods; Pillow: Marshalls
• Lamp and table: Miss Pixies
• Wine cart: Found along side of road
• Original Art: Her cousin Dr. Matthew Moshirfar
• Plant stand: Home Goods
• Blinds: Blinds To Go, customized
• Tassels: From Etsy shop.
• Dog sculpture: Home Goods
• Antler candle stick holders: Nieman Marcus
• Bamboo magazine stand: Miss Pixies
• Bike: REI Cruiser
• Antlers: Thrift store in Colorado
• Frame: Marshalls
• White vase and red coral: Z Gallerie
• Couch: Macy's
• Zebra pillows: West Elm
• Yellow pillow: Urban Outfitters
• Coffee table: Anora home
• Wooden horn: Home Goods
• Red faux leather tray: Home Goods
• Shells in glass jar: Home Goods and TJ Maxx
• Poufs: Gilt Groupe
• Entertainment System: Vintage Herman Miller cabinets; white cabinets from Ikea
• Rug: Target
• Décor: Home Goods
• White Lamp shade: Ikea
• Orange-painted flower decor: Home Goods
• Chairs: TJ Maxx (Black chair)
• White Chairs: Bax Studio
• Sheep skin backs: Ikea
• Green chair: West Elm
• Candle: Gilt Groupe
• Napkin holder: TJ Maxx
• Vintage wooden Table: Miss Pixies (She managed to bring it home in her Rav4 when the store wasn't able to hold it!)
• Curtains: Bought fabric and found a seamstress to make them into curtains
• Rug: Iranian rug given as gift
• Light: Z Gallerie
• Frames: TJ Maxx
• Home Goods
• Pot: Home
• Spice Containers: Anthropologie
• Cabinets: Ikea
• Saucer/Espresso cups: Target
• Stool: Home Goods
• Rug: Home Goods
• Tray: Home Goods
• Dining Room Rug: Iran. Gift from family member
• Mirror/ decoration: Home Goods
• Headboard: Target
• End Table: Target
• Knobs: Anthropologie
• Telephone: Home Goods
• Mirror: Jewelry holder
• Reindeer jewelry holder: Home Goods
• Pillows: Target
• Gold/Cream pillows: West Elm
• Bedding: West Elm
• Throw: TJ Maxx
• Bed Stools: Home Goods
• Rug: Persian rug from Iran
• Curtains: Curtain Works
• Mannequin stands: Home Goods + Contest for ABC, gifted
• Chairs: Overstock
• Gold Vase: Ross
• Grass vase: Ross
• Bulletin Board: Home Goods with gold duck tape
• Shower Curtain: Home Goods
• Towels: Anthropologie
• Accessories: Home Goods
• Trash can: Home Goods
• Perfume Tray: Home Goods
• Chairs and table from Home Depot
• Chair with blue pillow: TJ Maxx
(Images: Nicole Crowder)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.