New York, NY and online
Pearl River Market - you've come a long way, baby. What started as a tiny Chinatown shop selling teas, soy sauce and bamboo steamers has, over the past 35 years, blossomed into a veritable New York institution. Since expanding in 2003 to a 20,000 sq. foot Soho location, the secret is definitely out. Amidst the silk robes, chopsticks, embroidered slippers and herbal medicines you will find plenty of goodies for babies and kids - some kitschy, some practical and all for a very good price. A visit to Pearl River Marke
t either in person or online is most fun when you don't have anything specific in mind because you're destined to find something unusual and unexpected.
The tableware and kitchen sections are usually our favorite and this would be a great place to look for inexpensive additions to play kitchens too.
• children's practice chopsticks ($7.50)
• insulated tiger lunch bag ($9.50)
• Kodomo animal mugs (bunny, chick, elephant, bear, $9.50)
• mini bamboo steamer ($5.50)
• animal design children's plates (whale, bunny, monkey $3.50)
• melamine 3-tier lunch box ($33.50)
• Dumpling Dynasty baking kit ($17.50)
Looking for inexpensive nursery ideas? Paper lanterns, string lights, and mobiles make a colorful addition to babies and kids' rooms. And you'll be sure to find a paper garland you love among their wide selection for baby showers and birthday parties.
• parasol mobile ($5.50)
• butterfly mobile ($15.50)
• rainbow flower garland ($3.95)
• cat garland ($3.95)
They have a large selection of traditional musical instruments, these drums being the most kid-appropriate:
• two-sided red drum ($65.50)
• waist drum ($47.50 sm, $59.50 lg)
Pearl River is a perfect place to shop for party decorations - how about these inflatable paper animal balloons for decoration or favors?
• paper balloon animal (tiger, monkey, panda, elephant, penguin, pig, $1.95)
If you're visiting New York, Pearl River Market is a great stop to put on your list. After wandering the aisles, take a break at the Tea Bar. If you're shopping from afar, pour yourself a cup of tea and hunker down with the website - though not as extensive as the in-store selection, it still holds many treasures.