If your small home happens to have an attic, then you're in luck, because you can get a little extra mileage by moving on up. Once you get the go-ahead from your contractor that your attic space can indeed be finished, you have so many options! Here are 12 creative ways you can transform your attic into an enjoyable and practical space.
Squeezing in an extra bedroom for guests is definitely a practical and popular idea (and you can see some great attic bedroom spaces over here), but there are also plenty of other inspiring ideas for a finished attic. Attic spaces are great because they can be used for very practical needs like storage, a home office, or a bathroom, or you can think of them as bonus space and use them for something fun that you just don't have room for in your main living space.
1. Create a simple, unfinished and calming mediation or yoga room like this one featured on the Free People blog.
2. Make a games room to enjoy with friends, like this one featured on CCS Architecture.
3. Make an extra walk in closet for off-season clothing storage, as spotted on This Old House.
4. Create the craft room of your dreams where everything has a place, like this one from Hemidemisemiquaver Design Blog.
5. Make a quiet home library for reading, like this space showcased on the Barnboardstore project gallery. Awkward attic spaces are perfect for bookshelves.
6. A movie buff's dream! An attic is perfect for a dark and cozy home movie theater, like this one seen on The Patriotic Peacock's blog.
7. Make a simple reading nook to escape to for some peace and quiet, as spotted on Design Sponge.
8. Transform your attic into a useful extra bathroom for the family, like this project by Harry Braswell.
9. Make your attic into a fun playroom, as seen on Zilverblauw.
11. Create a cool place to just hang out with friends or enjoy a movie, as seen in The Washington Post.
11. Create a practical home office to help you separate work from play at home, like this one featured in House to Home.
12. For the music lovers, make a space to store, showcase, enjoy and even play your favourite music collections, like this music nook spotted on Design Sponge.