Location: Brentwood — Los Angeles, California
Size: 2,400 square feet
Years lived in: 8 months — Own
Months ago I was visiting interior designer Craig Olsen at his showroom on La Brea. In the corner window, he had a gorgeous black and white striped couch on display. He told me how he had custom upholstered it for his client Sandra's new home. After almost a year of residence, Sandra welcomes us to her new Brentwood abode.
Sandra, an agent in the entertainment business, purchased her Brentwood home 8 months ago. To bring out the charm and to design a warm modern look for her interior space she hired Craig Olsen. Craig said his main objective was to work with the colors that Sandra loved, and to bring rich textures to each room. Sandra has created a layered home of sleek modern lines, with deep hues and all the rooms have a palette of their own.
One of the best features of this home is the view and its privacy. Sandra's house is a small oasis in the heart of LA, yet removed from the hub of the city. It's quite relaxing and serene, which is perfect for someone who works all day long in the hustle of Hollywood entertainment.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Modern but comfortable with touch of whimsy.
Favorite Element: My bed- the headboard in particular (designed by Craig Olsen). It reminds me of the sunsets from my house.
Biggest Challenge: Configuring the living and dining area where one didn't exist.
Biggest Embarrassment: I don't have a swimming pool... yet! ☺
Proudest DIY: My $5 Liberty of London pillow. I put it on the Eames chair in the living room.
Biggest Indulgence: The chair and the ottoman in my bedroom from Twentieth.
Best Advice: Hire Craig Olsen to help you design your home.
Dream Sources: Liberty of London, Charles Eames, and the Craig Olsen Showroom on La Brea.
Bethany's Additional Questions:
What is the single most significant thing in your home? The portrait of my father in my office.
When you think of designing a home what is the most essential part? Comfort.
How has the lifestyle and culture in Los Angeles affected your personal design aesthetic? I don't think I ever would have purchased this style home if it wasn't for Los Angeles. This house is so LA. I never want to travel — I love my home!
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Dunn Edwards- Swiss Coffee
• Dunn Edwards- Plum Wine (in the master room)
• Sofa- Dwell, Craig Olsen
• Low credenza, Chaise lounge, Patagonia Rug- Craig Olsen
• Eames Chair- Design Within Reach
• Standing lamp- Lignet Roset
• Noguchi Coffee Table- Design Within Reach
• Green ceramic lamp- vintage
• Saarinen dining table- Knoll
• Chandelier- by Global Views, from Craig Olsen
• Laser cut rug and dining chairs- Craig Olsen
• Le' Lettre- Vintage poster found at the estate sale of Ed Limato
• Wallpaper- Cole and Sons
• Green hanging glass pendants- Design Within Reach
• Barstools- Mater
• Bed, night stands, pouf, and console- Craig Olsen
• White tufted leather chair and ottoman- Twentieth
• Rug- Williams-Sonoma Home
• Lamps- Global Views
• Gold Channel Bed, chair, night stand, rug- Craig Olsen
• Lamp- Turquoise, Stray Dog
• Desk and chair- Eames
• Bedding- Anthropologie
• Oak three piece desk, Sofa, chair, and small tables- Craig Olsen
• Lamp- Arteriors
• Sconces- Brown and Gold
• Wall paper- Cole + Sons
• Everything in the guest house was custom made and/or purchased at Craig Olsen
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.