Name: Lori Dennis Location: Los Angeles, California Size: 1,000 square feet Years lived in: Recently renovated We're taking a bit of a de-tour today from our usual type of house tour we present. A little while ago we were invited to a loft party celebrating the opening of the Lofts at Cherokee Studios, which was notable for two things: 1) the lofts were being decorated in musician themed decor (honouring the building's musical history, being a site where the likes of Sinatra and Bowie recorded), and more importantly, 2) the lofts were advertised as the "healthiest and most environmentally friendly loft building in California", as the first and only seeking LEED Platinum Certification loft building. It's a little country and a little rock 'n roll in that regard. Don't let the initial impression fool you, there's plenty eyebrow raising details below!
What Friends Say: ROCK ON! Biggest Embarrassment: Coming out of the port-o-potty (toliets weren't working yet) at the opening party with two bottles of wine and getting caught on camera! Proudest DIY: We love our rock and roll bondage room with vintage velvet paintings. Biggest Indulgence: Francois and Co. Mantel Best advice: When going modern in the kitchen, use European cabinetry because they have a much higher standard for VOC emissions. Dream source: Alice Cooper's show and vampire movies.
- Environmentally Friendly Materials
- Reclaimed Black Forest Walnut from Studio One reused
- Recycled tile by Erin Adams Design and Walker Zanger
- High recycled content and locally produced products
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified oak flooring, cabinets, and structural wood
- Blown in cellulose insulation is 98% recycled
- Dual flush Toto Aquia II toilets
- Water efficient Hans Grohe fixtures
- Reduced stormwater runoff through first-ever groundbreaking under-sidewalk infiltration system
- Reduced landfill waste by over 75%
- Low-water, drought resistant landscaping
- Excavation and Demo Completed with Biodiesel
- Extensive bike storage
- Walkable neighborhood scores “Walker’s Paradise” (94 out of 100) on walkscore.com
- Non-toxic treatment on all structural wood resists termites and mold
Photos by Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP Dennis Design Group designing the Alice Cooper Loft at Cherokee Recording StudiosApartment Therapy House Tour Submission Form. While we will work with homeowners of our favorite homes to feature full tours, we will also share the best as House Calls — short, quick tours of readers' homes. Submit your home here.