When guests and small spaces collide, it's sleeper sofas and sofa beds that step into the breach. They are certainly practical, but especially fun are the ones that you'd buy even if they weren't convertible. Here are ten great picks for 2014, which form a collection that's as varied in color as it is in style and price points.
1. The Evie from Crate & Barrel (also lead photo above) is such a sweet sofa for apartments. It's classic and modern at the same time, and reasonably priced at $1899.
2. The Easton Sleeper from Room and Board is a small-scale basic in a range of neutral shades (and this gorgeous deep ink color), available in a queen size for $1999.
3. Restoration Hardware's English Roll Arm Sofa will fool you into thinking you have thirty-room manse instead of a one bedroom in Brooklyn. The price, depending on size and upholstery choices, ranges from $3310 - $5450.
4. The Diplomat is one of Blu Dot's convertible options, with a nice flecked fabric and warm wood base. It flips into a bed instead of housing a traditional mattress. It's a modern classic at $1899.
5. The Paidge sofa from West Elm is available in a wide range of saturated colors (including this moss green) and is a nice combination of clean lines and relaxed feel. It ranges from $1,499 – $1,799 and has a queen-sized mattress.
6. Pier 1 makes an appearance on this year's list with the classically-shaped Alton sofa with nailhead finish and ecru fabric. It's available, with a 60" wide mattress, for right around $1000.
7. Further up the price spectrum is this low-backed beauty from Design Within Reach. The color is unconventional, but it sure looks comfortable. The Traversina Sleeper is priced at $3200.
8. Traditional homes will love this skirted queen-sized sleeper from Crate & Barrel called the Willow. Priced at $2199.
9. Another low profile option from Room and Board, this time in lovely dark leather. The stately Harding sofa bed is $3099 and also transforms into a queen-sized bed.
10. West Elm's Bliss sofa is slightly more flared than others seen here, which is a welcome change from straight lines and more modern sleepers. It now comes in a range of colors and is priced between $1,949 – $2,249.
And although I personally wouldn't skimp on a sleeper sofa bed, I should mention these two super cheap options:
11. No list of is complete without something from IKEA— this time the KARLSTAD, which rings in at $849.
12. And lastly, if this isn't your forever sofa, why not go crazy with the color? Although the Ava Sleeper from Urban Outfitters isn't the most practical of the group, it sure is fun at $749. The back folds down to create your sleeping space.
(Image credits: Crate & Barrel; Room & Board; Restoration Hardware; Blu Dot; West Elm; Pier 1; Design Within Reach; Crate & Barrel; Room & Board; West Elm; IKEA; Urban Outfitters)