Name: Yigit Pura
Location: Nob Hill — San Francisco, CA
Size: 570 square feet
Years lived in: 8 months — own
When Yigit decided to take the leap and buy an apartment in the city, he wanted a home that intrigued him every time he walked through the door. Clocking in at just 570 square feet, this one bedroom has a small kitchen, a cool modern bathroom, and a nice view of downtown San Francisco.
Yigit has earned public acclaim for his talent and triumph on Top Chef Just Desserts after years of working under some of the most reputable chefs at respected establishments. He left his full time position as Executive Pastry Chef of Taste Catering to pursue his dream of opening his own pastry shop. With so much on his plate, he searched high and low for the perfect place to call home. His take on how to define that perfection: "Functionality meets comfort. Have a home that you feel proud to host a cocktail party in, but that you can just as easily kick back in your pajamas and watch a movie."
In terms of decorating he's admits that it's still a work in progress, but that he chose to keep things simple and modern. With the exception of some artwork and a vast collection of books and photographs, he keeps his home pretty tidy and spare. He believes that it doesn't take much to make a home yours and that, for him, it was the addition of his puppy which finally broke the ice. "Home is where the heart is, and my heart is my puppy Maui, who moved into the house a month after I did."
I've asked Yigit if he'd ever consider moving back to New York or out of the country to further pursue his career. He replied that San Francisco is home to him. He loves the people, the lifestyle and the diversity. "San Francisco equals local + sustainable + love!"
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Lived in chic
Inspiration: I definitely believe color brings inspiration
Favorite Element: The thing I first fell in love with was the large windows in the living room and bedroom. When I saw the bathtub, it was love at first sight. I knew we'd be having many happy nights together.
Biggest Challenge: I don't have a challenge, it feels like this is where home was always meant to be.
What Friends Say: "Oh my god, I fucking love your apartment!"
Biggest Embarrassment: Just like true love, you're not embarrassed by it's shortcomings — you embrace it!
Proudest DIY: ...still waiting to happen, when I first moved in my puppy Maui chewed the corner of the wall...6 months later, I still haven't fixed it.
Biggest Indulgence: Having an elevated parking spot, in my building, in the heart of the city. It's worth it's weight in platinum.
Best Advice: Let the apartment speak to you and don't be intimidated by design magazines.
Resources of Note:
• Grey sleeper/ lounger sofa: CB2
• Black leather couch: Barcelona Chair
• Bookshelf: IKEA
• Rug: from the mother land, Turkey
• Coffee Table: CB2
• Painting above black chair: Rick Griggs
• Portrait of Yigit and Maui: Jesse Freidin Photography (Jessefreidin.com)
• Table & Chairs: was negotiated into my mortgage, from the staging in the apt
• Mid century (Cocktail bar): Past Perfect
• Dishes + Silverware: Pier 1 and Pottery Barn
• Bed Spread: Bed Bath and Beyond
• Desk: West Elm
• Nightstand: West Elm
• Painting: found at Alameda Flea Market
Images: Bethany Nauert
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.