I've always preferred living in pre-1940's buildings for all their historical and architectural charm (so far, six different places and counting, ranging from 1907 through 1931). But my affinity for the old doesn't always align with my modern day needs, most notably the absence of overhead lighting inside closets.
LED lighting technology has revolutionized battery powered, install-anywhere lighting options, offering extremely bright illumination in small form for anyone who can't change or upgrade the electrical in their home. Not everyone feels comfortable attempting electrical work, but anyone can peel and stick or drill and mount one of these lights.
A year or so ago, I installed a motion-sensing LED closet light onto the closet ceiling, and it's been...pardon the pun...like night and day. Where I once had to rely on ambient lighting from the bedroom, or somewhat comically, a flashlight, now an automatic ceiling light turns on overhead as soon as I pop my head through the closet door. It's one of those minor convenience but life-changing upgrades a renter truly learns to appreciate once installed.
Here are ten of the better rated units available today, some utilizing touch/tap to power on and others with motion-detection.
- Mr. Beams Indoor/Outdoor Motion-Sensing LED Ceiling Light - $19.99
- Wireless Motion Sensor Light - 10 Super-Bright LED - $6.57
- Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Ceiling/Wall Light with Remote - $32.95
- Utilitech Battery Powered Cabinet LED Puck Light Kit - $11.98
- Sylvania LED Silver Light Flute Horizontal Light Stick - $11.97
- Hipe 8 LED Automatic Motion-sensing Night Light - $13.99
- Superbrite Touch Light - $7.98
- Wireless Motion-Detecting Light - $39.98
- Megabrite Wireless Motion Sensor LED Lights - $29.37
- HDE Motion-Detecting LED Light w/ IR Radial Sensor - $7.06
(Images: Top: Arthur's Long Distance Home House Tour, Gallery: as linked above)