We tend to ignore the corners in our homes. They are weird in-between places that don’t have an automatic solution, and wind up in awkward decorating limbo, both overlooked and undervalued. What are you supposed to do with them anyway? Read on to learn how to turn these small, unused spots into beautiful, functional spaces. We've got twelve great ideas, mostly from our house tours.
1. Insert a Curved or Sectional Sofa: Match up one angle with each other, and your walls will spoon your furniture. How nice is that?
2. Balance a Tall Ladder: Beth used that weird space right inside her bungalow's front door for a tall ladder, which doubles as blanket storage.
3. Place Some Plants: In addition to all their other beneficial qualities, plants are also beautifully sculptural. Offset the hard angles of a corner with organic branches and leaves.
4. Find a Round Table or Console: A round table can seat more bodies than a rectangular one. They also fit nicely into compact corners.
5. Take Advantage: A large surfboard becomes a decorative element when placed out of the way in a corner. It also frees up space somewhere else in the house, garage, or basement.
6. Angle the Television: TVs are awkward anyway. You may as well kill two birds with one stone and combine the two. Placing one in the corner gets it out of the way, and fills an otherwise empty space.
7. Create a Reading Spot: Nothing is more cozy than wedging yourself into a small space that mentally hugs you as you curl up in a comfy chair and read.
8. Make it Special: Focal points are not always over the sofa or fireplace. Turn an unassuming corner into something unique, with the help of dramatic decor, such as this hanging rattan chair.
9. Find a Corner Cabinet or Table: There's a reason these things exist. Somebody at some point in time got smart and built a piece of furniture that nestles perfectly into corners, taking up the least amount of space possible.
10. Wrap a Window: If you are lucky, you are renovating and can try one of these corner windows. The glass spans two walls and completely opens up the view.
11. Customize a Cabinet: If you can't find the perfect item, build it yourself. Shannon created some innovative bathroom corner cabinetry that maximizes space in her bathroom.
12. Add Some Shelves: Corner shelves are a quick and easy project to either buy or DIY one weekend.
And don't forget the outdoors! As a little bonus, check out this "Before & After" project from the Apprentice Extrovert, showing what she did with this corner of her porch....