One of the shopping staples for many households across the country is IKEA. That's all well and good unless you're one of the sad souls (myself included) who doesn't have one nearby. The closest one to me is a solid 6 hours drive and although I've done it in the past, but more eco-friendly options have surfaced.
1. Craigslist: What can't you find on Craigslist? Even if you don't have an IKEA near you, there's a good chance someone is still selling something from the blue and yellow retailer. They might have ordered something and it's the wrong size or moved to town and no longer need such items. Although some might try to take advantage of there not being in IKEA nearby and attempt to sell you used items at full price, they'll usually be willing to bargain to get the items in question out of their house and put cash in their pocket.
If you're willing to take the time to look in other cities for a specific item you might be after, an internet search is a great way to get the job done faster. All you need to do is type in— site: www.craigslist.org *insert item here* — and hit search! Recently a family member went hunting for a high chair that's no longer carried online. She located one in Canada and contacted the seller and they were willing to charge her shipping and sent it down! How's that for extra-awesome?
4. Twitter and Facebook:
Twitter and Facebook are good for many things, but in the past I've used them to shop at IKEA. Ok, not literally, but when I put out a call for curtain hardware, a friend two time zones away volunteered to pick some up for me next time they were in and shipped them over. A single paypal transaction later and I had my hardware! Whichever platform you use, it's a great system to work with your friends in far off places!
5. Local Delivery Services: In my neck of the woods there are folks who spend their weekends making the long drive to the closet IKEA. They charge folks a flat fee/scale free based on dollar amount being purchased for delivery of goods and it's generally far less than standard delivery is when shopping IKEA online. Check Craigslist or newspaper ads near you for those doing the same thing. If you know of similar services in your area, make sure to leave a name or website in the comments below.
LOOKING FOR MORE IKEA INSPIRATION?
• 10 Ways to Customize Ikea Furniture
• Video: How To Hack an Ikea Frosta Stool
• 8 Good Things at IKEA
• Before & After: Adding Style to an IKEA Karlstad Sofa
Re-edited from a post originally published 6.2.11 - JL