Our style: California-Modern meets New York Loft.
Inspiration: The indoor outdoor lifestyle of California coupled with many references from photographing other great homes.
Favorite Element: The light. Every room has beautiful light.
Biggest Challenge: Working with the typography of the site – building in the Hollywood Hills.
What Friends Say: They refer to our home as “The web”. Once they come, they say it’s so warm and comfortable that it is very hard to leave.
Biggest Embarrassment: We live in this multimillion dollar home with high end appliances and the ice maker doesn’t work-- never has.
Biggest Indulgence: Building materials. All the interior walls are block & masonry.
Best advice: Everything takes longer and costs more than it does.
Dream source: Ray at Obsolete for lighting.
- Viking stove
- Sub-Zero Refrigerator
- Sub-Zero Counter Refrigerator
- Miele Dishwasher
- A combination of new and old collected at flea markets and places like Liz’s hardware on LaBrea
- Shabby Chic
- B&B Italia
- Pasadena & Santa Monica Flea markets
- Chinese antiques
- Danish modern
- Farm tables from shops on Abbot Kinney, Beverly Blvd and La Brea
- Fire pit
- Buddah statues & fountains
- Rock Gardens
- Radiant Heat
- Flash water heaters
- Infrared Sauna
- In-ground trampoline
- Custom extra wide door made out of old, wide-plank barn wood
- Many fixtures came from Obsolete in Los Angeles
- Other Fixtures were collected over the 7-year planning of the house as we saw things we liked at flea markets on the east coast and in Europe.
- Used Paints with mica to reflect light
- Radiant heated floors
- Downstairs- 1-inch wide Dark wood with Stained Dark Concrete
- Upstairs - Pickled 1-inch white oak floors with light stained Concrete
Rugs and Carpets:
- Grass mats from Ikea
- cow hides from Ikea
- silk rugs from ABC carpets
Tiles and Stone
- Bissaza and Moroccan tiles from Anne Sacks
- Casement windows from the original house
- Custom windows for the addition
- Kids Bunk beads from Pottery Barn
- Adult beds from Shabby Chic
- Greg Lauren Painting
- Original Photography
- Our Kids Art
(Thanks, Shawn and Amy!)
Photos: Amy Neunsinger
We've had amazing response to our Apartment Therapy House Tour Submission Form. While we will work with homeowners of our favorite homes to feature full tours, we will also share the best as House Calls — short, quick tours of readers' homes. Submit your home here.