I've always admired the relationship the French have with food. Not just the incredible flavors that they are able to whip up on the fly, but the emphasis they place on enjoying a meal. Food isn't just sustenance, it's a work of art — one that's meant to be savored, preferably with those you love. The French treat every meal as if it's an occasion. This, to me, would seem to give them a special advantage when it comes to entertaining (where apparent effortlessness is key to a successful soiree).
So, how does one hostess the French way? Mimi Thorisson, mom, cook, blogger (and owner of 14 dogs!) shares her secrets.
Top 5 Tips for entertaining à la française:
1. Be elegant and understated.
2. Always choose a beautiful wine list for your guests.
3. Always start with ice-cold champagne, served with home-made gruyère cheese puffs.
4. Write a hand-written menu for each guest.
5. Take your time. Savour the moment. A good meal can last hours and hours.
Read More: Sous Style
What are your tips for successful entertaining?
(Image: Oddur Thorisson for MANGER)