Sleeper sofas and Murphy beds are staples of small space living, but what if your bed went one step further. What if it folded up into the wall, but also doubled as a desk? Or what if your sofa could convert into a chaise or two separate twin beds? These 10 designs are pricey, but they're some of the most unique and multi-functional convertible beds we've found.
A word of warning — although many of these Italian, German, and Swiss designs are available in the US, some aren't. Pricing and sourcing is provided where available, and links to stores are included for anyone searching for more information.
- Bonbon Compact Living: Located in London, BonBon carries Clie wall-mounted and murphy beds, some of which double as sofas, office desks, and storage units. This is the Clei Poppi Board Bed, which converts from a sofa into a home office.
- Resource Furniture: If you're in New York, Resource Furniture also carries space-saving designs from Clie and other manufacturers, including transforming beds, sofas, and shelving systems. This is the Clei Doc XL Sofa Bunk/Bed, which converts from a stylish sofa into a two-level bed.
- SmartBeds: A division of Denver-based Flying Beds, Smart Beds imports space-saving contemporary Italian murphy beds and convertible designs. The Houdini ($4,020 - $4,235) folds into the wall and transforms from a sofa into a bed.
- Flou Beds: This Italian company has a Soho store, as well as distribution in several high-end stores around the US. Their Book Sofa/Bed converts into 3 different designs: a sofa, chaise, or bed. Pricing is in the high-end ($$$) range.
- De Sede: This is a Swiss company that creates innovative hand-crafted ($$$) furniture. The DS-1165 Adjustable Headboard Bed by Hugo de Ruiter has a movable 2-piece headboard, which allows the bed to transform from a traditional design into a conversational sofa-style piece.
- Smart Furniture: There are lots of ottoman sleepers on the market, but the Kartell Trix Ottoman/Bed by Piero Lissoni ($1,292) is one of the best looking. A simple band system tansforms it from a stool to a chaise to a mattress.
- Orange Skin: Available through Orange Skin and several Italian modern import stores in the US, the La Literal Bunk Beds by Lievore, Altherr, & Molina can be configured as a set of 2 bunk beds, one bed with a desk, or one bed with a shelf. Pricing starts around $2,200.
- Richard Lampert: German company Richard Lampert sells this Staple Stacking Bed by Alexander Seifried. Constructed from removable cushions and a frame that stacks on top of itself, the piece converts from a sofa to a twin to a double bed. For pricing and shipping info, contact the store.
- Die Collection: This is another German company that specializes in convertible sofas, beds, and armchairs. The Fox Armchair by Thomas Althaus transforms from an armchair into a chaise or a twin bed. For pricing and shipping info, contact the store.
- Janson: Janson is yet another German store that stocks unique contemporary transforming furniture. The Yin Yang Bed (€ 2,110) is a slatted platform that can be used as a flat surface for a mattress, a multi-tiered storage piece, or a futon-style sofa.